Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so I know there are far more informed members than myself on this topic. I'm a college student, on the go and I need a new laptop. I'm looking for the right price (money is tight and I have an expensive habbit in my car :crazy: ) and def. need reliability, battery life, and a good processor/hard drive. I will be using this for typical college related tasks, and also as a vag-com for my passat...and this summer to run some "piggy back" ecu software (for bigger turbo, injectors, map sensors, etc..). The last laptop that I have is from Dell, and I'm somewhat hessitant to go back to them. Any input is greatly appreciated as I need it :D

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Look up my other posts, but in a nutshell.

I bought an HP zt3000 in December, and couldnt be happier.
Its small, 1.3" thin and 6.4lbs
15.4" wide screen
Pentium M 1.6Ghz (benchmarks at 3.06Ghz speeds)
Integrated 802.11G wireless
Integrated Bluetooth
64Mb ATi Radeon 9200 Graphics
4-5 hour battery life

So far not a single problem.
Starts at $1049 with free shipping.

www.hpshopping.com

-Nick

·
Registered
829 Posts
I just ordered a Dell, think it is the 600m model. I ordered this one due to the Dell credit program as well as the fact they seem pretty inexpensive. But I have been reading about these overheating problems and issue with the motherboard which I am worried about now. I picked out the 600m due to it being the first in pricing line having a serial port on the back for my VAG-COM. it was $1200 on Dell credit.

I would advise check out cnet.com for laptop reviews.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I ended up getting a vaio (went against most peoples advice) and it is awesome. I probably didnt need as much as it offers but the thing is amazing. It is the pcg-k15. I got the damn thing at your local circuit city to avoid tax, right on woobury st., 1700 to be exact :eek:h:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
HvyDrnkr23 said:
I picked out the 600m due to it being the first in pricing line having a serial port on the back for my VAG-COM. it was $1200 on Dell credit.
Note that if your laptop does not have a serial port, it's not a big deal as long as there is at least one USB port. My IBM T41 doesn't have a serial port but I bought a USB-to-serial adapter and it works great! The adapter cost me about $15 at tigerdirect.com.

For the laptop, I would highly recommend the same IBM T41, it's not one of the cheapest though but definitely beats every Dell, HP and Toshiba that I've had.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the input....I got my vag-com yesterday and decided that I needed a new laptop toady :lol: waGner thanks for the input on the adapter, I was worried that I had this serial port and no new computers came with them anymore. Def made me feel better....well the tax return is due any day

Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
L8apex1 said:
thanks for the input....I got my vag-com yesterday and decided that I needed a new laptop toady :lol: waGner thanks for the input on the adapter, I was worried that I had this serial port and no new computers came with them anymore.
Just for information, here's the the adapter that I got (Bafo). It comes with a detachable, standard USB cable which itself costs more than $15 at almost any store. :crazy:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=166842&sku=B133-1014

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Vaio is absolutely the worst computer you could get. I've had mine for a year and so far it has had 1 motherboard, 1 hard drive, 1 disc drive, and is currently back in the shop for I don't know what. That $200 best buy warranty paid itself off in the first two months. I would never have another one. I'm just hoping they will call it a lemmon and give me an hp or a toshiba.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
wst said:
Vaio is absolutely the worst computer you could get. I've had mine for a year and so far it has had 1 motherboard, 1 hard drive, 1 disc drive, and is currently back in the shop for I don't know what. That $200 best buy warranty paid itself off in the first two months. I would never have another one. I'm just hoping they will call it a lemmon and give me an hp or a toshiba.
My first dell, went through 6 motherboards in 4 months. Required numerous reformats, etc etc etc. . . . forgot a lot of details but i also had 14 service calls in one month . . . after that they finally decided to give me a new laptop. . . too bad it was a dell :wink:

Dave

·
Registered
457 Posts
wst said:
So, should I just take my computer back and eat the 15% restocking fee or try to prove ther marginal rep wrong? :cry:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input.....my friends uncle works for IBM....so I'm looking into him saving me a few bucks on a Think Pad... maybe the t41, but I'd like to get it w/ a writeable drive. Hopefully he'll come through w/ a deal this week.

Thanks for all the help, good luck w/ the vaio sammyb!

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
For school work, don't you want something light so you can bring to class?

http://www.hp.com/pcad
HP ZV5000
$974 + free shipping

Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.8 GHz
Memory 256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB)
Hard Drive FREE Upgrade from 30GB to 40GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive <--free upgrade
Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD/CDRW Combo Drive <--cdrw that you want
Communication Built in 56K Modem+10/100 LAN
Display FREE Upgrade from 15" to 15.4" WVA WXGA (1280x800) <--free upgrade
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9000 IGP <--great video card
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery GREAT LONG LASTING BATTERY

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
mistertam said:
For school work, don't you want something light so you can bring to class?

http://www.hp.com/pcad
HP ZV5000
$974 + free shipping

Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) 2.8 GHz
Memory 256MB DDR SDRAM (1x256MB)
Hard Drive FREE Upgrade from 30GB to 40GB 4200 RPM Hard Drive <--free upgrade
Primary CD/DVD Drive DVD/CDRW Combo Drive <--cdrw that you want
Communication Built in 56K Modem+10/100 LAN
Display FREE Upgrade from 15" to 15.4" WVA WXGA (1280x800) <--free upgrade
Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) 9000 IGP <--great video card
Primary Battery 12 Cell Lithium Ion Battery GREAT LONG LASTING BATTERY
Don't know that I would call an 8 lb. laptop light. :poke: :p

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
The T41 weighs around 4.5 lbs. It's thin and very convenient to carry around.
Great battery life too. Hopefully you'll get a deal, I don't think you will be disappointed. 8)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts