Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been a great several months that I've found ClubB5. Unfortunately, I will be out of the country on a work assignment overseas. Anyone have some advice in how to store the car for that long?

Here are some of the advice I had gotten:

1. Disconnect the battery
2. Leave almost no fuel in the tank (as close to empty as possible) OR fill up the tank and use some sort of stabilizer fuel additive.
3. Leave car up on jack stands (still have to figure out how to lift front end at once using hydraulic jack) and take off wheels to avoid the tires from getting a flat spot

Any other advice?? The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll be spending my last two months in Germany after 4 months in Korea. Must exercise self-restraint.....must not sell ticket back home for mods....

PS Getting my 10k service done 1 week before leaving in Sept....hmm that's next week....Tim (Blownaway) better have my loaner ready cuz I can't miss that appointment

<![CDATA[It has been a great several months that I've found ClubB5. Unfortunately, I will be out of the country on a work assignment overseas. Anyone have some advice in how to store the car for that long?

Here are some of the advice I had gotten:

1. Disconnect the battery
2. Leave almost no fuel in the tank (as close to empty as possible) OR fill up the tank and use some sort of stabilizer fuel additive.
3. Leave car up on jack stands (still have to figure out how to lift front end at once using hydraulic jack) and take off wheels to avoid the tires from getting a flat spot

Any other advice?? The only thing I'm afraid of is that I'll be spending my last two months in Germany after 4 months in Korea. Must exercise self-restraint.....must not sell ticket back home for mods....

PS Getting my 10k service done 1 week before leaving in Sept....hmm that's next week....Tim (Blownaway) better have my loaner ready cuz I can't miss that appointment

[Modified by Pil, 5:33 PM 8/23/2002]

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Re: Need Long-term storage advice (Pil)

Depends on how long. You mention up to six months...if it could potentially be this long, then I'd consider removing the battery.

You should leave ~1/4 to 1/8 tank of fuel with stabilizer. Drive the car for 15-20min after adding stabilizer so it will be circulated through all parts of the fuel system.

If you leave a battery charger connected (to battery) and have someone that can plug it in (leave on 2A setting) overnight once/month, you can leave the battery in place.

·
Registered
346 Posts

Is it at all possible for you to have someone trustworthy drive the car at least once a month? That way you can minimize damage to rubber seals, gaskets, etc. during the temperature changes...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Re: Need Long-term storage advice (BlueGLX)

Plus I've heard that for long term storage that the vehicle should be jacked up at the suspension points so that the suspension doesn't just droop for a long period of time. Can someone clarify / correct / or illustrate how this would be done?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Need Long-term storage advice (lobich)

Thanks for the input.

Unfortunately, just moved the area several months ago and don't know anyone trustworthy enough for me to lend the car to. I had my girlfriend drive it once, and that was enough (scratched front spoiler). Maybe I can just have her drive it in circles around the driveway......

Funny thing is, I don't mind her driving the Lexus, but will not let her touch the Passat. I guess I really do love my Passat.

If it is best to have the car driven at least once a month, does it have to be a long drive? I'm serious about going in circles around the driveway.....

·
Registered
566 Posts

Yes, if driven every other week or so, it needs to be a long enough drive to get the car fully warm - 20 minutes or so. Not being driven for a full month may be long enough for the battery to fully drain.

Lobich is right about being jacked up on the suspension points, though I don't know how you would go about doing that on this car.

Full tank w/ fuel stabilizer - condensation is your enemy there. If you are going to store the car near a wall outlet, you can purchase a battery maintenance device that will top off the battery when necessary, otherwise you should disconnect it. Change the oil before you store it, and again before you drive it (after 6 months, there will be a fair amount of condensation inside the engine). Will the car be in a garage or outside? You have to consider the possibility of animals trying to make a home in your engine bay. I can't think of anything else, good luck!

·
Registered
5,330 Posts

I'm thinking if you put your car on stands and remove the wheels, that should be sufficient weight off of the suspension to minimize strain on the springs and shocks.

If you do end up removing the battery be sure to rest it on a piece of wood (2x4 or bench, etc) or rubber, and not directly on concrete. This will help protect the battery from accelerated drain.

You may want to put one of those closet dehumidifying bags inside your car, with the rear seats folded down, to minimize the chance of accumulating musty odors inside the car and trunk over time.

With our boats, we always spray fogging oil directly into the cylinders before winter storage. But don't do this before checking with an auto mechanic. It basically is an oil that suspends inside the cylinder walls until you run the motor again. You simply remove one spark plug at a time, spray a little in, turn the engine over to move the piston and valves, spray again, replace the spark plug, and move to the next cylinder. Again, I don't know if this is something that can be done for cars, so don't follow this advice until you get more info for doing this on a car. If you do go this route, the stuff is basically called fogging oil for winter storage.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Need Long-term storage advice (Darter)

Thanks for the info guys!!

After much serious deliberation, I've finally decided that I will indeed have someone drive it around the driveway (I have a circular one
) once a month. If this is not good for the car, then I guess she will have to take it out on the road.

Seriously though, how much damage can happen on empty backroads or in my driveway. We'll just have to wait and see.

·
Salty Moderation Stylez
12,663 Posts
Re: Need Long-term storage advice (mnelson)

Send it out to me.. I need a winter car

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Need Long-term storage advice (Salty D)

Will send to Tim if he puts on the Stoptech brake kit for me......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts