Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing up a managerial econ class and to make it fun our prof is requiring us to supply an economics joke with our 50 page project. I need help finding a joke or two.

Topic of economics, econometrics, you get the point.

Anyone know where to go?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
3 people land on a deserted island after their boat sinks: an engineer, a chemist, and an economist. The only food that washes ashore from their boat is a can of beans, but they don't have a can opener. They scratch heads, pondering, thinking, and contemplating. They each come up with their own idea.
The engineer says, "We should pull some tree vine, tie a rock on one, and throw it over a tree branch. We can swing the rock and vine at the can and bust it open."
The chemist says, "We should use my eyeglass to focus the sun's rays onto the can. Using Boyle's Law, the heat will cause the internal pressure of the can to increase which will then make the can explode open."
The economist says, "Assume we have a can opener."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Otherwise, I recall seeing some web page with Economist jokes very similar to Lawyer jokes a while ago.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Check out writings and/or speeches by the renowned economist Amartya K. Sen, whose sense of humor is quite noteworthy.
Here's a quote from the book All You Can Eat: Greed, Lust, and the New Capitalism by Canadian reporter Linda McQuaig:

The absurdity of public-choice theory is captured by Nobel Prize-winning economist Amartya Sen in the following little scenario: "Can you direct me to the railway station?" asks the stranger. "Certainly," says the local, pointing in the opposite direction, towards the post office, "and would you post this letter for me on your way?" "Certainly," says the stranger, resolving to open it to see if it contains anything worth stealing.

McQuaig's book represents little more than a Marxist polemic IMO, but I do like the inclusion of Sen's humorous scenario above.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
you don't need to say a joke. Just trip and fall while you are walking up to make the presentation.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
229 Posts
During Reagan's campaign, he was asked to differentiate from each other recession, depression, & recovery.

Recesssion is when your neighbor loses his job.
Depression is when you lose your job.
Recovery is when the man in the White House (at that time Carter) loses his.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts