Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that when I put my foot into it, the turbo makes a funny noise. The turbo usually makes a nice whir that gradually gets louder then fades as the boost releases. Now, however, it makes the same whir but with a vibrating/howling sound. It would be equivalent to the noise you make when whistling and humming at the same time. It's also sort of like a noisy antennae motor.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. I don't have a boost guage. As soon as funds are available, that's what I want to get with the A-pillar pod. I haven't found a pod that is reasonably priced that looks good and fits well. I just checked the oil yesterday and I don't burn a drop since I changed it. I'm only 2500 miles into this oil change. What would be potential problems that could be starving it of oil?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I don't know what is the cause of your problem, but the easiest way to starve a turbo of oil is to cook the oil and have it clog the return line.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
About your guage, you can get away with much less cost if you get one of the steering column pods. This is the route I am going.

Get them many places, http://www.newsouthperformance.com/pod.htm for sure. Even get it with the guage for about 80 bucks. Pretty good deal and seems necessary insurance for turbo monitoring. I wish I had one right now.. instead of the turbo gauge price.. now I pay the turbo pod price along with replacement turbo price as mine is to be repalced this coming week. So good idea to not put it off for long. :thumbup:

Good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
x said:
. . . the easiest way to starve a turbo of oil is to cook the oil and have it clog the return line.
While I have gotten on it and even taken the opportunity to race a few ricers and hillbillies, I don't drive it hard and always have a lower speed (35-25 mph) final portion of my trips to and from work to let it cool down. I only have 17500 miles on it. Is it possible that the oil cooked with that sort of driving?

·
Registered
750 Posts
We took a look at it this afternoon and it does sound like the turbo is making an unnatural sound. He had a code stored for random multiple misfires and another that I didn't recognize. He wrote down the codes and will post them here soon.

The car is making good power and is making some boost. We tried watching the boost pressure with a vag-com but the measuring block that I thought would display boost didn't change with throttle inputs and stayed between 100 and 170 millibars. I'm going to play with it some more in a bit and see if I can discover how to log boost levels with this software.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
[/quote]
Is your car under the warranty ?
Let a dealer take care of this problem.[/quote]

What fun is that? How can I justify all my expensive toys if I let the dealer do the work all the time?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts