Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...... was wondering which chip would be the best to buy for my 2001 Passat GLS (older style). Just looking for more horsepower and was wondering which ones out there are the best and where to buy them at.
Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
1.8t? 30V V6? what kind of engine????? APR now has direct port for the 1.8t. Just talk to a guy today that has that on his 20th Gti. He said its awesome, you have multiple programs or something, He was kind of an aragant bastard........so I just tuned him out after a few words and politely exicuted an Exit stage left! :lol:

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
APR or GIAC would be preferable, then the Wett, and then Neuspeed. personally though, i'd look for a local tuner, and see what they have. APR and GIAC are around $500, and give the best performance. Wett isn't as powerful, but is only $300.

also, APR and GIAC provides sockets, so you can switch to the stock chip. Wett might do it also, but i'm not sure.

www.goapr.com
http://www.giacusa.com/
www.greedspeed.com (neuspeed)
www.chip-tuning.com (wett)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
APR and GIAC also offer multiple programs that you can switch between, including security and in some cases valet modes to offer as well. These functions are not available from Wett.

Plus they make more power than the Wett as well.

Whatever you do.... don't opt for the Neuspeed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, thank you all very much for all the feedback!! You have given me options and it looks like Neuspeed is not the way to go.
I live in the USA (Minnesota to be exact). I will do some research based upon the answers you all have provided. I don't know anything about these chips, so valet mode or whatever I am not familiar with. I will tell you this though, I have a CompuStar Car Starter / Alarm on there. I know that shouldn't matter, but thought I would throw that into the equation since it is a 2-way device.
:bow: to all that have put in your suggestions. I appreciate it!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Is your car an auto or a manual trans? If manual, I have a ECU with APR chip for sale. If you search under my screen name you will find my sale post.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm still new to the B5, but I'm coming off a Jetta 1.8T. I had the GIAC... It is amazing! Pulls like a beast! But another chip I was considering at the time, which I haven't seen on this board yet is the Upsolute. It isn't as aggressive, but it is alot cheeper. Just another one to consider.

Steve

·
Registered
53 Posts
It doesn't matter which chip you get; Someone else's will always be better. :p I love my GIAC 1.8T chip. If you can live without your car a few days, you can fedex your ECU to them and get it back two days later. Better yet, find a spare ECU and have that chipped.

·
Registered
505 Posts
My wife has the Upsolute chip in her 2001 GLS manual. She likes it; smooth power delivery and excellent very driveability. Each chip is different and has its own endearing qualities. Choose the most convenient source; you won;t be disappointed.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
11 Participants
klelmore
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing