Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My B5 (2001 GLS) is still running and I realize the design for convenience is aged.

for one thing, it used to have a DIN size holder for storage but that is now occupied by gauges. Any ideas I could add storage for the driver without reach far (the plain old glove box is too far for what I like)?

for another thing, I need at least a second 12V power socket (maybe even a third, :) nobody smoke in my car so the cigarette tray is a waste of space. is there some PnP solution I can add socket there (I can do the wiring if needed).

thanks in advance!

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upgrade to a B5.5 center console. You can add power outlets if you like.
will the e-Brake configuration the same? or do I need to get B5.5 e-brake as well?

Get the :b55: lower dashboard panel (the one below the steering wheel), I have it and it's awesome! :thumbup:
do you have part numbers? any recommendation for part source?

Should I say the best bet to get either a B5.5 center console or a lower dashboard panel is to head for a junk yard?

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get the :b55: lower dashboard panel (the one below the steering wheel), I have it and it's awesome! :thumbup:
For that, do I just need the panel itself, or do I also need to get the aluminum support piece behind it from B5.5?

What about the fit of all the other stuff on that panel (they are 1. headlight switch; 2. dimmer swicth; 3. OBDII connector)?

(I think i will be heading to L&T enterprise at allentown at some point to get the stuff).

· Registered
747 Posts
will the e-Brake configuration the same? or do I need to get B5.5 e-brake as well?

do you have part numbers? any recommendation for part source?

Should I say the best bet to get either a B5.5 center console or a lower dashboard panel is to head for a junk yard?
you will also need the b5.5 e-brake. your best bet is to go to a junkyard and find these interior pieces. they will probably be so cheap too!

· PassatWorld Elder
27,985 Posts
There have been some in the classifieds too. Just make sure the color matches as the Beige and Black colors changed at some point with the B5.5

· Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
this is what I end up having

I actually got a set of B5.5 central console / e-brake from local junk yard. But the plastic is a bit rot from elements (from a broken wreckage sitting in the yard for who knows how long).

So I probably will never install it. the e-brake handle is still in great shape (it is leather - not plastic). If anyone need it, it will be yours for the shipping cost.

the additional socket is retrieved from junkyard B5.5 console. it just fits but require planing and a lot dremeling. I wired it to a new fused line of switched power as I was doing VDO gauges right there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.