Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for anyone who hasn't seen my other threads, I have a b5.5 (2003 awm 1.8t) passat. I changed out my cam sensor and it sensor and I'm still getting codes. Any idea on how much it would be for electrical work or any tricks out there that could help? It's my only car and I am broke..

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
You should pull the valve cover, set the crank mark to TDC and see if the notches on the cams line up before getting into electrical work. Electrical under the hood is usually not too bad as most everything is within reach on a 1.8T. You need a Bentley Manual and a Multimeter to check for broken wires.
What do you mean set the mark to TDC? I'm new to all this mechanics stuff but I want to learn as it's my dream job. If you know of a video link or something could you post it up for me so maybe I can understand?

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TDC = top dead center. There is a mark on the crank pulley that lines up with another mark on the block (?) when the crank is rotated so that cylinder 1 is at the top of its stroke (aka TDC). When the crank is in this position there are marks on the cam shafts that align with their marks. If the marks on the cams don't align when the crank is at TDC then the timing between the cam shafts and crank (and hence pistons) is off.

You can probably find a lot of info about this sort of stuff in threads dealing with replacing heads, installing timing belts, etc.
Okay so you're referring to the marks on the cam and crank gears under the timing cover? As in what the timing belt sets on?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts