Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for anyone who hasn't seen my other threads, I have a b5.5 (2003 awm 1.8t) passat. I changed out my cam sensor and it sensor and I'm still getting codes. Any idea on how much it would be for electrical work or any tricks out there that could help? It's my only car and I am broke..

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
What codes?
Post them up. It could be a number of things.

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
You should pull the valve cover, set the crank mark to TDC and see if the notches on the cams line up before getting into electrical work. Electrical under the hood is usually not too bad as most everything is within reach on a 1.8T. You need a Bentley Manual and a Multimeter to check for broken wires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
You should pull the valve cover, set the crank mark to TDC and see if the notches on the cams line up before getting into electrical work. Electrical under the hood is usually not too bad as most everything is within reach on a 1.8T. You need a Bentley Manual and a Multimeter to check for broken wires.
What do you mean set the mark to TDC? I'm new to all this mechanics stuff but I want to learn as it's my dream job. If you know of a video link or something could you post it up for me so maybe I can understand?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
TDC = top dead center. There is a mark on the crank pulley that lines up with another mark on the block (?) when the crank is rotated so that cylinder 1 is at the top of its stroke (aka TDC). When the crank is in this position there are marks on the cam shafts that align with their marks. If the marks on the cams don't align when the crank is at TDC then the timing between the cam shafts and crank (and hence pistons) is off.

You can probably find a lot of info about this sort of stuff in threads dealing with replacing heads, installing timing belts, etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TDC = top dead center. There is a mark on the crank pulley that lines up with another mark on the block (?) when the crank is rotated so that cylinder 1 is at the top of its stroke (aka TDC). When the crank is in this position there are marks on the cam shafts that align with their marks. If the marks on the cams don't align when the crank is at TDC then the timing between the cam shafts and crank (and hence pistons) is off.

You can probably find a lot of info about this sort of stuff in threads dealing with replacing heads, installing timing belts, etc.
Okay so you're referring to the marks on the cam and crank gears under the timing cover? As in what the timing belt sets on?

·
Registered
88 Posts
If the cam chain slipped, the cams may be off and preventing you from lining up the other timing marks. Sometimes the chains jump when the rub blocks pop off or break up, or the tensioner fails for some other reason. You can get new rub blocks for them and get a new tensioner too. Don't go by make and model search when getting parts. Go by the number that is on the part you're trying to find a replacement for.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Is the timing belt sprocket/pulley on the cam taper fit like the V6 and V8 cars are?. If it is taper fit on the L4's like on the V6's and 8's, you'll have to break it loose in order to get the timing dead on...If they're taper fit, they may have slipped and that may be your problem. But I'm not so sure they are taper fit. There is a reasonably priced cam pulley puller you can get on Ebay and other places online. You'll need a low profile puller to get these to pop off if they're tapered because if you don't have the car in service position there is no room to do anything on the front of the engine.

·
Moderator/Administrator
26,028 Posts
You do not remove the sprocket on a 1.8T for timing adjustments. Ever.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You do not remove the sprocket on a 1.8T for timing adjustments. Ever.
Now that I look more closely into it, it appears to be keyed onto the cam shaft. If that keyed or pinned area cracked or broke, the pulley / sprocket may slip off alignment and make it impossible to set the timing according to the marks on the engine. Not that I have ever heard of this happening, but if the cam chain tensioner is good with the rub blocks are intact, and the chain is set to the right number of links between the sprockets and the belt is correctly mounted and routed through the other pulleys, idler and tensioners, that would be the only variable left to correct. Wouldn't it?.

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
The cam pulley key on the 1.8T only shears when the cam locks up from lack of oil or if you drop a valve.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts