Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
195/65R15 size tires and want to keep it around 500 or less.

I am running 15 inch stock wheels on my 2003 B5.5 and need a little help in picking a set of new tires. I want something that is going to last me awhile. I have heard great things about Michelin- Pilot Exalto A/S, Michelin- Energy MXV4 Plus, Goodyear- Assurance TripleTred, Continental- Pro Contact, and finally the Bridgeston- Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. I went on Tirerack.com and saw that these all have like the same ratings. PLEASE PLEASE if you have had or have these tires please give me some help on making this decision. I am a college student whom commutes about 50 miles a day and need a good long lasting set of tires. Please any help is a great help because droping 500 bills on tires is tough enough for me.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The Michelin Energy's are the only tires in that lineup that will last a long time. They stick pretty well too, if you haven't chipped your engine anyway.

In general, french rubber is the only way to go. Pirellis can be as good, but not as consistently good.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
The Triple Tred is a good tire. 80,000 mile warranty, 30 day test drive - if you don't like them, sent them back, and free 2 year roadside assistance for flat tire/spare swap.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
195/65R15 size tires and want to keep it around 500 or less.

I am running 15 inch stock wheels on my 2003 B5.5 and need a little help in picking a set of new tires. I want something that is going to last me awhile. I have heard great things about Michelin- Pilot Exalto A/S, Michelin- Energy MXV4 Plus, Goodyear- Assurance TripleTred, Continental- Pro Contact, and finally the Bridgeston- Potenza RE960AS Pole Position. I went on Tirerack.com and saw that these all have like the same ratings. PLEASE PLEASE if you have had or have these tires please give me some help on making this decision. I am a college student whom commutes about 50 miles a day and need a good long lasting set of tires. Please any help is a great help because droping 500 bills on tires is tough enough for me.
had the michelin pilot exalto a/s for almost ayear now,appx 11000 miles,dont even look used.!!!! best thing i ever did to the 4-motion, im also going to replace my tires on my other passat when due with same tires,also went up to factory spec. opt.size 205-60x15,much better handling and ride too,but dont take my word,
check out tire racks ratings and reviews,this tire was in top percent of every category,thats why i bought them ,also paid appx. $400.00 for all tires

·
Registered
35 Posts
Continentals

I had the continentals on my Mini Cooper s that was mod'd, They are great tires, were still going strong when I sold the car last week with 24k on them...Also, you should consider Kumho's, have become a big fan of them...John

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'm rolling on Kumho Ecsta ASX :thumbup:
IMO, better all-around than the oem Michelin Pilot MXM4s.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If your looking for the a great combination of an all season tire The Pilot Exaltos would be my vote. The Bridgestones would be the grippest of the group. The Goodyears give the best snow traction with the longest life. I have now help several people from the site pick out tires I would be glad to assist if you would like to give me a call even if you dont buy from the Tire Rack I am here for you guys.

Rudy
1-800-428-8355
x664
[email protected]

·
Registered
348 Posts
Forum Discounts.

First let me thank you for your business which I truly appreciate.

The Tire Rack Does not offer any Discounts (Forum, Senior Citizen, Millitary, ect.). With that said I can some times help with things such as lugbolts, centering rings ect. Example you buy wheels from us and loose the centering rings I will just send you replacements at NC. I know this is small, but I moderate a couple forums and I try to really go the EXTRA MILE to assist forum customers. I also personally keep a watch on all sales that come from the forum and will make sure you order goes extremely smooth. Plus if you ever have a warranty problem or need help youve got a direct contact here just for you. ME:)

The TIRE RACK does not always have the best price that can be found anywhere. Sometimes you can find a better price. The Tire Rack does offer very good prices, excellent selection, fast shipping usually 1-2 business days and we help support the Car community by supporting forums, racing ect. Also keep in mind that our wheels are higher quality than you find with alot of our competition.

The other think to keep in mind is I truly believe we have the most knowledgable tire staff. I personally test 50-60 different tires in the summer on our autocross course and on our road course. Most of us including my self have been to Skip barber racing school or similar type school.

I hope I can assist everyone in getting the best product for there needs wether they purchase from us or not, but I hope you guys will continue to support us the way you have it the past as its a Great realationship.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S installed on my 2002 Passat 1.8T a couple of days ago. They replaced the OEM Michelin Energy tires that lasted 73,000 miles. I immediately noticed an improvement in both grip and ride comfort. Rolling resistance seems to be a bit higher--the car loses speed more quickly when you let off the gas. I suspect this will mean a reduction in miles per gallon but, overall, it's worth it for the other benefits.

·
Registered
828 Posts
We have the TripleTreds on the Camry. Best all-around general all-season we've ever driven. 80K treadwear warranty and, after 2 years, it seems reasonable. Amazing wet traction and good in the snow. NOT a performance tire by any means, but it does deliver on its promises.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Another vote for the Falken ZE-512s, which I have on my '98 Passat and '91 Volvo 940. They are reasonably quiet, and do well on dry, wet, and snowy (tested to 3-5") surfaces. Also, compared to other tires I looked at, they are relatively inexpensive.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I had the Falken 512's on my B5 and now on my RX-8 (in place of the OE Potenza RE040's for the cold season).

They get a little noisy in an odd way... not loud, just sort of "thrummy".

I also had Kumho Ectsa HP4 716 (replaced by the Solus KH16, I believe) on mine and my wife's Saturns and have been pleased with the blend of traction, noise and comfort. Fuzion HRi's are another budget tire that I had in 205/55/16 on my Passat that were good and had a non-directional tread pattern for easier rotation.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
If you're only dealing with extremely light snow, or none at all, I really the the General Exlaim UHPs. I've never really had as good a street tire as them, esp when price and tread life are concerned, I have ~19k on em and you can barely tell they've been driven on.
If you're dealing with more than a dusting you should really step up to winter tires anyhow.
I've heard good things about teh Pilot Exalto A/s though
MXM4s suck

·
Registered
973 Posts
Goodyear assurance triple tread. Rated #1 by a consumer magazine, #1 on Tire Racks Survey of A/S tires, comes with 2 year roadside assistance (free from Goodyear), 80k mile tread life warranty. Just bought my mother a set for her Subaru Outback. Very nice.

It's ashame they don't make them with ratings for the W8. I'd love to have them.

Michelin Pilot Exalto and HydroEdge are also highly rated!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts