Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 w/ a stubby mirror (not heated), and just ordered the in-pro chrome covers with a FULL size mirror... has anyone ever done a conversion like this? I figure just get the black plastic piece underneth the painted housing, a new mirror, and that should be it... Am I correct? :???:
Is there any problem \s that I might run into?
Thanks,
Ryan :)

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
taking off the side mirrors are pretty easy, i think one bolt holds them on

i don't know if the wires will be plug and play, but i can't see why they wouldn't

if i recall the lower mirror part isn't cheap...it's about $120 maybe more

and the mirror glass is anywhere from $30- $50 depending on the dealer :suspicio:

hth

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
yea when i had my 99 gls my car got vandalized a few times

i went through about 3 new mirrors

i cant remember exactly how much $, as it was 4+ years ago... but they were NOT cheap by anymeans.

i hope u don't have the GLX power folding option those are even MORE :poke:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
hey curry

i acutally bought a right side passenger full size mirror. i was going to do the conversion, but i suck at painting parts so the stubby has stayed.

its looks like the parts that are different are the metal plate the housing screws into.

and a black lower plastic piece.

·
Registered
283 Posts
nananana4k said:
hey curry

i acutally bought a right side passenger full size mirror. i was going to do the conversion, but i suck at painting parts so the stubby has stayed.

and a black lower plastic piece.
how much did it run you?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nananana4k,
Does it look like it could work, or would I have to modify it?
I think I'm going with the in-pro chrome mirror covers, along with blue rear-views, and chrome handle pulls.
Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
hey curry,

i think your gonna need extra parts , because the in-pro probably wont mount the current stubby peices.

the metal plate has apart number
3b1 875 502

and the lower longer plastic peice is 3b0 857 604

there is another plastic peice that doesn't have a part number on it.

im no longer gonna try to put the peices on, so if you want i can sell them(the entire housing, parts and all) for $35?

i got it off another member that was parting out their glx for about $95.

gl.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Curry, I have an extra passenger mirror housing that was from a Skoda I only used the puddle lights from them and still have the entire inside piece that has the power setup for adjusting the mirror. This is also equipped for the Heated mirror option. All you would have to do is remove the stubby and replace it with this.

My question to you though is do you drive a GLX because these don't have the folding mirror motor on them. Let me know if your interested.

Larry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.