Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal, I got a speeding ticket in upstate NY... and I pleaded not guilty to try to hammer out a deal on a point reduction plea.
I got the letter from the prosecutor today, basically saying to write an explanation as to why a reduction is in order.
I totally have writers block on this one, I don't even know where to begin. I need your help!
What should I write?

By the way, I was going 80 in a 65

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
OK, you have no excuse whatsoever yet you want to have someone else ghostwrite a letter to the judge so that you could get a deal? Sorry, I just don't get it. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not trying to justify it, but they're giving me a chance to get the points reduced.
I just don't know where to start

waGner said:
OK, you have no excuse whatsoever yet you want to have someone else ghostwrite a letter to the judge so that you could get a deal? Sorry, I just don't get it. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
The scene from Blues Brothers where they visit the sister supreme and sitting in the school chairs comes to mind. I guess Belushis excuses were not enough as he was whipped down the stairs still in the chair, but you may try it anyways.

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
You need to explain the circumstances that may have lead you to drive above the limit. For example, you could say that you were having a really bad day, your dog died, your gf just broke up with you, you got fired, and you got your 3rd check engine light of the week. All this crap was swirling through your head and you weren't paying attention to your speed.

You could also go the opposite and say you were having a great day, your girl just gave you some, you got a raise, your dog had puppies, and you weren't paying attention to your speed because you were basking in the day's glory.

If you never had a ticket before, you could bring that up too. The judge may also take into consideration that you have good grades or have a good stable job.

The point is, we're all human and we've all been in these situations before. You need to have the empathy of the prosecutor or judge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts