Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
console

I want to remove the arm rest console so I can install a dvd player in the din spot. Thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you do a search, you will find a guy who did some of the writeup, but its actually pretty easy..

The pocket part of the center console just pops out..

There are two screws behind the rear ashtray. You detach the rear ashtray and the two screws are in the top part of the ashtray..

After that, the rear portion of the center console will pop out. (you have to unplug the harness for the rear ashtray to remove it.

Then there are like three bolts in the bottom part of of the center console underneath where the pocket was. You have to remove those as well.

Finally there are two screws (one on each side) of the center console just in front of the driver's seats. You have to pull off the plastic covering (carefully) and then unscrew the two screws.

After that, you should be able to remove the rear portion of the center console (it splits apart just near the shifter).

I don't know if you have a manual or a stick shift.. I have a stick, so removing the front part isn't very difficult, there is a plastic trim that holds the shift boot in place, just give it an easy tug from the console and it will come out. The actual shift knob is attached via a metal ring underneath the boot.. you can just leave it in place when you remove the console.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Good Luck!

-Jason

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Jason, your instructions are for the B5, the 5.5 has a different console. I wish I could help but I haven't had mine apart yet and I don't know where the rear bolts are. The front half comes out the same as a B5 though.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi Paul!

I have a b5.5 (2003 GLS Wagon - stickshift). That's how I got mine apart to wire the ipod into the ashtray...

I'll post some pics later tonight.

1) Lift up shift boot

2) Remove screws in the back

3) With the pocket removed, you can see two of the three bolts in the bottom to be removed.

4) After you remove the screws, that rear part of the console should be loose, now you just have to unplug the harness..

5) The bolts in the front have to be removed too

6) This is how I got to the bolts in the bottom of the console.

Good Luck!!

Thanks for looking out Paul

- Jason :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.