Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help, Turbo problem.

Hello, My name is Mote. I live in Thailand. I have 1999 Audi A4 1.8T with K03 turbo (standard)? Wetterauer chipped. After install the chip. The car runs very well. But after a while, my car have some noise (vee wee) during mild acceleration. My dealer told me that it might be from the Turbo. Like broken blade at the compression side. They told me that I might have to replace my turbo. The cost of replacing it was very high (around $1800-2000). I really can’t afford to pay that much.
I have check with some modification shop in Thailand and they have offered to replace only the inner stuffs (turbine, compressor, blade, bearing, etc.) it will cost around $700. I just want to know that is this reasonable enough? Could I find the part in USA that will compatible with my car with cheaper price? My Sister live in Florida. She can order those part for me and send it back.
1. Whole K-03 turbo?
2. Inner stuff of K-03 turbo?
3. Whole K-04 turbo? I heard that it could bolt on with out any modification.
4. Inner stuff of K-04 for K-03 housing? Don’t know Is it possible or not?
Does anyone know the solution? Thank in advance.

mote

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Hi Mote. First of all, its seems a bit hasty to immediately assume the turbo is bad. A quick check with a portable boost guage will tell you whether or not something is wrong. If the spec is the same as the US, you should see 7psi max with your stock chip, and 14 psi max with the Wett chip. It can be many many things that would cause this noise. Don't immediately assume that the whole turbo is shot. Do some diagnostics, and then you can make an informed decision about what to do.

Let us know what you find out.

Regards,

Kenny

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank. guys,

I will have the dealer checking my car in a few days. then will let you know the result.

mote

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
guy,

the mechanic checked my turbo already. he said the bearing was wearing out. and the turbine side have several minor bending and broken blade. since the price they offer is extremely high, I decided to find a turbo outside the dealer. New or used.
my turbo part number is '058 145 703 J' for 2000 A4 APU engine. please recommend the compatible turbo. I don't know that the turbo from AEB engine is compatible or not since the part number is a bit different '058 145 703 L'. please comment.

mote

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine was replace

Hi Mole,

mine was replace this afthernoon. Second hand at SG $400. Its a K03 sports from a B5.5 that has since upgraded to a K04

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi ,

Thanks for your information. I currently looking in Ebay for turbo. unfortunately, could not found match one. I just skip the new one that have different part number ( 058 145 703 LX versus 058 145 703 J-original) the KKK agent said that it not compatible. anybody have any comment?

so, could I find match one in Singapore? and your indication of $400 , Is it USD or Singapore $ .

mote

·
Registered
432 Posts
Mote,

I also have an APU engine. I installed a new KO4-15 from MJMTurbos:

http://www.mjmturbos.com/

It cost US$800 new - even had the factory tags on it! It fit perfectly and has worked without a hitch for 2 years now. They were able to supply a K03 at the time for the same price so I went with the K04.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi,

thank for your information. so, you just go to K-04 right? what is the part number for compatible K-04. I could find new K04 in Thailand too at almost same price. just not sure that it will match my car.

after install K04 , what else I need to do more for the upgrade? I have wett chip at the moment. seem like I need to change to new chip for K04 right?

mote

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
mote
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing