Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read this before with other people having this problem but I have a 2001 GLX with Tiptronic which hits pretty hard, maybe once per trip when coming to a stop. Usually it happens more often when it is a quick stop. It sems as though the tranny gets confused and doesn't react quick enough and then it downshifts very abruptly. I recall people discussing this and comlaining to the dealer about it. I thought some people had the TCU reprogrammed or replaced.

Anybody know about this or point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
192 Posts
For the 2004 Passat with the ATQ (V6) engine only (therefore this does not apply to the original poster), there is a technical bulletin covering similar symptoms. Sometimes you get a kick in the ass, a hard downshift, when coming to a stop or accelerating from a near stop. The dealer will update your TCM to firmware version 2225 to resolve it. The bulletin number is 05-14, (up)dated 10/21/2005. I just dealt with the issue for a long time figuring I'd never reproduce it in front of the dealer, but then I ran across this bulletin and had the dealer do the update, and I've been rolling smooth like silk for the past several months.

For some reason, the service writers at my dealer in St. Louis were not able to locate the bulletin when I brought it to their attention. I think it may not be categorized quite right somewhere, because it also doesn't show up directly on a Bentley's EBahn subscription unless you go looking for it specifically. They found a similar one which didn't apply to my model year, and thought I didn't know what I was talking about. I ended up having to go home and sign up for an Alldata subscription to get the full text of the bulletin. When I came back and laid it on the counter, the reaction was something like "we've never seen this bulletin before." To their credit, they took my car in on my unscheduled re-visit and made it happen right away, and you can't really hold them responsible for what VW's database will or won't show them on a search. Long story short, if you think you need this service done, roll in with a full copy of the TB. If you need a copy, send me a PM.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am a renewing member, an original club b5 member from the days when I owned my first brand new Passat, a 2002 Silverstone GLX 5-speed sedan. I have been through a few cars since then and Just this past year purchased a VW-CPO 2003 GLX Variant "Wagon" Colorado Red with 43K miles and it has the wonderful TIP-tronic automatic transmission technology. I had to get an automatic due to family considerations.

I too, have experienced the same transmission symptoms with my car as well, just as you described, while coming to a stop.

Conveniently, I just got my car back from servicing at the dealer. I got an oil change ($53.00 U.S. - Cringe!), driver side halogen bulb replaced, rear parking light bulb replaced, rear tire plugged from slow leak, and they performed a recall on the passenger side seat heater. Recall included; replacing the heater switch, heating element, and wiring harness.

Anyway, not to stray off topic here, but I voiced my complaint to the dealer about the same transmission shifting symptoms, and of course they could not replicate, or verify the problem.

I am glad to hear from member JYOUNG, regarding his 2004, I will be sure to bring this up with the dealer on my next visit, which by the way should be within a week or two. I did not mention another complaint during my service appointment was a problem I was having with the driver seat rocking slightly. There is about a 1/4" play in the driver seat while you sit and move back and forth, you can actually feel the seat rock back and forth as if the seat is loose. I had to fight with the dealer on this one as my service invoice stated, the 'Tech could not verify the problem'. I had to personally take him out to the car and demonstrate the problem. I think because my car now has 48K on it and is nearing the end of warranty.

On another note of mention, the dealer gave me a loaner car, a new 2006 Passat 200HP 4cyl turbo with auto tip-tronic, (If VW is still calling it that). I have to say, the 6 speed transmission shifts are nice and quick, makes good use of everything that 4 cyl engine has. It makes a nice run up to 80mph! You can definitely feel the difference in newer technology. I wish my 2003 shifted like that...

I have my fingers crossed and hope that first of all, VW acknowledges the software upgrade, and that the firmware upgrade helps with the symptoms...

Please continue to update on this issue as will I...

Sorry for the long post...
Great Forum!

·
Registered
192 Posts
vwwagondriver said:
...I have been through a few cars since then and Just this past year purchased a VW-CPO 2003 GLX Variant "Wagon" Colorado Red with 43K miles and it has the wonderful TIP-tronic automatic transmission technology. I had to get an automatic due to family considerations.

I too, have experienced the same transmission symptoms with my car as well, just as you described, while coming to a stop.
I can't say if the firmware update won't help you, but I do want to reiterate (lest I get your hopes up) that the TSB is very specific about model year 2004 only. I do not know what would be different about the transmission or TCM for my model year, but when TSBs apply to multiple model years, they say so.

...I am glad to hear from member JYOUNG, regarding his 2004, I will be sure to bring this up with the dealer on my next visit, which by the way should be within a week or two. I did not mention another complaint during my service appointment was a problem I was having with the driver seat rocking slightly. There is about a 1/4" play in the driver seat while you sit and move back and forth, you can actually feel the seat rock back and forth as if the seat is loose. I had to fight with the dealer on this one as my service invoice stated, the 'Tech could not verify the problem'. I had to personally take him out to the car and demonstrate the problem. I think because my car now has 48K on it and is nearing the end of warranty.
If you can make it happen in front of them, they can fix it. A loose driver's seat is a safety issue. If it's not properly and fully secured, it's going through the windshield in a crash, right behind you. You don't need to take any crap from the dealer about this, and for that matter, they don't really want to give you any. If the car is under warranty and it's a warranty issue, the dealer is going to get paid by Volkswagen. Dealers want to work on your car, it's just that sometimes with odd problems that aren't immediately obvious, you are going to need to lead that horse to water. Be nice, be reasonable, be firm. It'll get done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts