Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if it has been posted a thousand times before - can't find anything in any Search except how to change the boot and knob on a B5.5 which as we all know, is different.

Yesterday I received my new black leather shift boot from the person on ebay who makes them (bonniebuttons? or something like that). It's very nice leather.

Today I am expecting a (like new) used B5 screw-on A4 leather-wrapped knob I purchased from a guy on Audizine.

However, in preparation yesterday, I removed the stock boot and knob. A couple of unforeseen problems immediately presented themselves:

1. The stock knob is attached to the boot even after you unscrew it from the shifter shaft in such a way that I have no idea how to separate them. I had hoped to be able to use my knobs and boots interchangeably if possible....not to have to ruin the stock boot.

2. The stock boot is stapled with a million tiny staples to the little frame that holds it in place on the center console. The new boot has no staples and the instructions say nothing about using any.

Question: Am I going to have to take out all those staples when removing the stock boot from the frame and try to re-staple (through the hard plastic of the frame itself) the new boot? Or should I just order a new OEM frame from VW?

Question: Once I have the boot and knob removed, how do I separate the two without destroying one or the other?

All the instructions I have seen to refer to the B5.5 with, for instance, the brass ring that holds the 2 (knob and boot) together. I see no brass ring.

It's the little things that make me hate modding my car......

Any help (PLEASE?) that anyone can offer me would be extremely appreciated. I will be happy to post pics of the problem and process if you would find it helpful in directing me. :???:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I've never seen a shift knob on a B5 that when you unscrew it, it still has connection to the boot, but when I pulled the one off my B5.5 (which DID have the brass ring, here's what I did:

flip the boot up other the shift knob (so you're holding the knob upside down and the boot is inside out.) You will see a piece of rubber or plastic that forms a "cup" if you will. Turn that cup inside out and slowly pull on the boot material. It should pull right away.

Now yes, remove all teh staples from the boot frame. and you'll release your shift boot.

I used hot glue instead of staples to attach my new boot to the frame, and just use whatever method required to hook up to the new shift knob.

Sorry I don't have pics...

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
the shift knob on the B5.5 doesnt unscrew, its not threaded. Just take off that clip around the bottom of it and it pulls right up. If you want to put it back on, you can use a zip tie. I don't know how to remove the boot, never did that yet.

Kevin

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi, I just recently joined ClubB5, and these forums are invaluable. Anyway, yes the shift knob and boot are serperable on the B5. After unscrewing my shift knob from the shift column I unclipped the boot frame from the center console as well so I have the shift knob, boot and boot frame in my hand. Now you can just pull the shift knob off of the shift boot by pulling on it, it has a simple clip. It usually helps to rotate the shift knob while simultaneously pulling the knob and boot apart. Once apart, you have two pieces, the old B5 shift knob and the B5 shift boot attached to the boot frame. Yeah its stapled with a hundred mini staples and I couldnt be bothered to remove each one individually so I just cut the old boot off of the frame. They were replaced with a Momo leather shift boot and Momo Combat red shift knob. The knob fits on great with the supplied attachment and surprisingly greatly improves shift feel from the stock knob. The Momo shift boot slips over the frame and you can replace the boot frame back into the console. I dont know how the A4 knob attaches though or if it uses the B5 shift boot mating thing. Hope this helps, bit confusing but shit, i just woke up :D .
Shout out Fla B5's.
Rioted yacunt,
Nare

1 - 4 of 4 Posts