Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 GLX(V6)

The car showed no problems the previous night, other then the fuel level being pretty low.

Went to start it this morning.

1. Silence....don't hear the starter, don't hear the clicks of anything.
2. Radio, HVAC, Windows, all electrical(that I can think of) are working..
3. Felt maybe the battery is low...I tried a jump, no response.
4. Checked all engine related fuses. They all look good.
5. My car is a 99 so it doesn't have an imobilizer.

Not sure what to do next. I'm taking the battery out, to have it checked at an autozone.

Can anyone give me any pointers? I really don't want to leave my car here.(Small town, most all of the cars are domestic so I don't think i'll find very many mechanics with expierence with foreign cars)

Edit -- Read about the CCM issue...don't think I have this problem because every electrical component i can think of...works correctly.

UPDATE: I held the throttle down and turned the key...it started right up. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Anyone know why?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Try shifting it in and out of park a couple of times - possible neutral safety switch problem?? I've never tried this, but maybe try to start it in "neutral". Could be an issue with the ignition switch too. Good luck!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok.....I was shifting in and out of park, etc..still didn't work.

I decided to mess around a bit more. I pressed the throttle a couple times no go.

I decide to hold down the throttle while turning the key. ===> It starts right up. :shock:

Now it starts up fine. Anyone know about this? This seems outright silly...and I don't like it. :sad:

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Possibly ignition switch? The fuel pump not running would indicate that it's not getting power. Power is controlled by a combination of rail power and switched power (I learned a lot about this whis past week on the Rabbit, and VWs don't change that much). If the ignition switch is not sending full voltage to the switched terminal, the fuel pump won't run. The starter thing is weird though. Even with 9V, the starter should crank. You may have a bit of loose harness under the dash somewhere. :???:

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
atomicalex said:
Possibly ignition switch? that much).Even with 9V, the starter should crank. You may have a bit of loose harness under the dash somewhere. :???:
The battery had plenty of juice..so it would have hit 9V no problem. Usually I hear the click of the fuel pump but this time I didn't. Or maybe I did the first time and it didn't turn on after that because there was already fuel in the line?

What are the signs of a failing ignition switch?

I'm pretty sure the combination of throttle all the way down and then turning the key made it start up, I would like to diagnose what state my car was in that I would have to do this.

The fact that I had low fuel could have been part of the problem. I'm wondering if the pump couldn't send enough fuel...and if there is a prevent in these cases, that disabled power to the starter..and the fuel pump.

Pushing the throttle down while starting..might have enabled a push of fuel...that tripped the switch? Hmm..still more to learn about cars...

Guess I'm going to have to wait till this problem arises again, but I don't like the idea of driving around with an unkown problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.