Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 B5 seemed to have rear suspension problem because it gets knocking noise when the road is uneven, give you a feeling that something is loose in the rear. It had high mileage (110k) so I replaced all four shocks with Bilstein HD. But the noise is still there! Seems to be coming from rear passenger side.

I forgot to buy the stop rubber to replace OEM but it looked ok when I took it out. I also checked the bushing from axle mount, it seemed ok from appearance.

Could someone give me an idea on what could be wrong? thanks!

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
One of the rubber inserts on the spring perch has popped out, maybe?

Loose brake caliper?

Brake line bracket has come loose, allowing the brake line to tap against the beam axle?

Emergency brake cable bracket has come loose, allowing the e-brake cable to tap against something?

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have had a similar noise when I hit bumps. I have been unable to locate for about a year. Definitely coming from the right rear corner, and it definitely seems brake related. If I drag my foot on the brakes or use the hand brake the noise stops. Tightened everything I can find to tighten, still nothing seems to stop it. I'm going to try replacing the rear caliper, that's about all I can figure out.

Definitely post what you find if you solve the noise.

·
Registered
225 Posts
fuel neck is on that side, check that and exaust pipe hangers.

Right rear is different than left, reinforced wheelwell to protect fuel system parts.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
I have had a similar noise when I hit bumps. I have been unable to locate for about a year. Definitely coming from the right rear corner, and it definitely seems brake related. If I drag my foot on the brakes or use the hand brake the noise stops. Tightened everything I can find to tighten, still nothing seems to stop it. I'm going to try replacing the rear caliper, that's about all I can figure out.

Definitely post what you find if you solve the noise.
I have the same thing but front right wheel.

Don't need a new caliper. Just use some grease ("quiet brake" type), and reinstall everything. This should help. Also learned the issue exists if the pad is slightly too small for the caliper.

I will get into mine after x-mast. Took me 3 visits at the local shop to locate the problem. Very rare condition. They had only 2 (mine and another guy's B5.5) within the last 3 years. Oh and did I say they specialize in VW.
The previous car was fixed by installing new pads.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,783 Posts
I know the front brakes have those metal guard things (that's the correct VW terminology :p) around the inside of the rotors but I can't recall if the rears have the same shield.

I somehow knocked against my front right one when and bent it towards the rotor while I was changing my suspension and got a similar noise under similar circumstances.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts