Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 1.8t 70k. Driving home car stumbled and got flashing CEL. Hooked up Vag-Com and got codes 16684 & 16686. I had the car towed to my house. I am pretty sure it is either a coil pack or the ICM. How can I determine which it is. Cylinder 2 is always misfiring then I get the random misfire code. Can I switch coil packs and see if it misfires in the exchanged cylinder? I need to determine which part to order and get back on the road. The 90 Comanche doesn't cut it for work.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Switch the coils and see if it's still the #2. Then you know it's the ICM (which I bet it is). If the misfire is on another cylinder then it's the coil.

You can get the ICM HERE for fair price.

·
Registered
151 Posts
judedude said:
98 1.8t 70k. Driving home car stumbled and got flashing CEL. Hooked up Vag-Com and got codes 16684 & 16686. I had the car towed to my house. I am pretty sure it is either a coil pack or the ICM. How can I determine which it is. Cylinder 2 is always misfiring then I get the random misfire code. Can I switch coil packs and see if it misfires in the exchanged cylinder? I need to determine which part to order and get back on the road. The 90 Comanche doesn't cut it for work.
yep i had the same problem couple months ago...misfiring on cylinder # 2 ....it was the Ignition Control Module :)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. I ordered the ICM at the site you recommended. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I exchanged the coilpacks and still got misfires on the same cylinder.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Could also be the throttle body needs cleaning. My 98 has done the stumbling misfiring thing twice and cleaning the throttle body cleared it up both times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.