Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know for sure fuse #14 has to be dead but i want to check it to make sure. ive been searching and searching on the forums and i cant find anywhere exactly how to locate these fuses.

can someone please help me?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Open the driver's side door. On the side of the dash is a panel that you pry off to get to the fuses. There usually is a fuse card and fuse puller in there if it hasn't been removed.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so i took off that panel and i see wires and connectors. now would it say in really small writing the number of the fuse?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The fuse numbers are on the fuse socket. Look at some slots with no fuses in and on the black fuse socket you will see the fuse #. The number on the fuse is the ampere rating of the fuse.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok i replaced fuses 14 and 6.

car starts but now there is a wierd vacuum noise coming from the locking part of the trunk.

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
buy a mix of fuses in case any go again so you dont get cought out there.
car wont start if certain ones blow.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good idea.

my car starts and supposedly fuse 14 also controls interoir lights but they are not turning on. can this mean i have damge in myy CCM box?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
ok i replaced fuses 14 and 6.

car starts but now there is a wierd vacuum noise coming from the locking part of the trunk.
Does the remote unlock work? If you leave your trunk open and drive awy do you get a warning message that your trunk is open?

An electric motor unlocks the trunk. There is no vacuum operated switches or latches. One side of the motor is always grounded and the other side is normally grounded through a contact of relay 79. When unlocking the trunk, the CCM energizes Relay 79 (relay panel under dash) and the 87a side of the contact breaks removing the ground and the 87b side closes applying positive to the motor terminal. So it appears that something is keeping the motor energized causing the noise. Bad relay? CCM? trunk switch?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
good idea.

my car starts and supposedly fuse 14 also controls interoir lights but they are not turning on. can this mean i have damge in myy CCM box?
I believe fuse 14 is for interior lights on your '99 also. May simply be a corroded + connection in the wiring harness in the floor to the CCM.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for alll your help kenblasco and the rest of you.

Does the remote unlock work? If you leave your trunk open and drive awy do you get a warning message that your trunk is open?

An electric motor unlocks the trunk. There is no vacuum operated switches or latches. One side of the motor is always grounded and the other side is normally grounded through a contact of relay 79. When unlocking the trunk, the CCM energizes Relay 79 (relay panel under dash) and the 87a side of the contact breaks removing the ground and the 87b side closes applying positive to the motor terminal. So it appears that something is keeping the motor energized causing the noise. Bad relay? CCM? trunk switch?

but yea, the motor is constantly running when i turn thwe car on and obviuosly the trunk light indicator is on. i went into the wiring inside the trunk door and diconnected one of the muliple wire thingys so this temporarily got ridof the noise but my trunk will never lock now.

but i bet it is a bad CCM. i tried getting to the box but i cannot lift the carpet all the way up to actually get inside of it. do you have any advise?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts