Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Pionner AVD7000 used, along with the Brain, and a seperate DVD player. Well, i'm installer wanted to do a bench test of the unit, and make sure it powered up befire we put it fully in the car. Well, we hooked it all up, and when i pressed the button for the screen to open, it wouldn't open up. :sad: The head unit got power, and so did the dvd player, a seperate unit), but the screen wouldn't pop out. The only thing we didn't do was hook up the speakers, as the plug hadn't arived yet. But we got everything else going hooked up properly. Like i siad, we bench teated it with a 12V car battery, and hooked it all up (minus the speaker inputs) The power lite on the deck came on, but no goon the deck lights, or it opening or closeing. Pioneer was cloed last friday dude to a show they were attending, so i was unable to get an answer from them.
I'm going to cal tommorw, but iwas hoping that there was somthing we were over looking. We hit the reset button, and tested all the wiring harness for proper contenuity, and such. Hopfully some one can help. YThakns guys!

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Without the speaker harness it's hard to say if it works since you can't tell if it's putting any sound out. Weird. Let me know when you get the speaker harness.

If that doesn't work, I have an Alpine IVA-C801 and DVA-5200 I'm selling that does work. :wink: :poke:

Paul :thumbup:

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
5150 Pa55at said:
I recently purchased a Pionner AVD7000 used, along with the Brain, and a seperate DVD player. Well, i'm installer wanted to do a bench test of the unit, and make sure it powered up befire we put it fully in the car. Well, we hooked it all up, and when i pressed the button for the screen to open, it wouldn't open up. :sad: The head unit got power, and so did the dvd player, a seperate unit), but the screen wouldn't pop out. The only thing we didn't do was hook up the speakers, as the plug hadn't arived yet. But we got everything else going hooked up properly. Like i siad, we bench teated it with a 12V car battery, and hooked it all up (minus the speaker inputs) The power lite on the deck came on, but no goon the deck lights, or it opening or closeing. Pioneer was cloed last friday dude to a show they were attending, so i was unable to get an answer from them.
I'm going to cal tommorw, but iwas hoping that there was somthing we were over looking. We hit the reset button, and tested all the wiring harness for proper contenuity, and such. Hopfully some one can help. YThakns guys!

Looks like you bought this from my friend Ryan.
it might not be working now but I can testify the screen was working 100% right before he pulled out of his car.
I did his illuminated handles and one of the pictures even show the screen open.....

Fabio

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1.8Tabamoura said:
5150 Pa55at said:

Looks like you bought this from my friend Ryan.
it might not be working now but I can testify the screen was working 100% right before he pulled out of his car.
I did his illuminated handles and one of the pictures even show the screen open.....

Fabio
I have no doubt that it worked before hand. I don't belive that Ryan would have sold this to mew if he nknew it didn't work. He seems like to honets a person to do that. Thats one of the reason i bought it from him in the first place.
This could just be really bad luck :( . Probbly carma coming back to me. I was going to get a friend of mines screen, for more, but this turned out to be a better deal, so i lied to him, and said i had to give the moiney to my mom, to pay bills :p so i guess i this is just coming back to bite me in the arse :cry: . Believe me, no one wanted this to work more than me. :oops:

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
quality_sound said:
Any updates?
Everything was sent back to Ryan.
Ryan brought to me so i could test it and see what was wrong with it.

Turns out ,everything is working beatifully.

The only thing noticed different was:

on the Brain the illumination signal wire is orange and the battery is yellow.
on the head unit is the other way around and i know i'm not confusing it cause the harness has yellow and orange tags on them.
Maybe the guy who installed it got tricked by the wire colors.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
BOTH power leads should be yellow. Pioneer (and every other manufacturer) has had a color coding standard since the early 80's. Oh well, as long as it works! All you need to do is get it in and you'll be as cool as me. :p :wink: :poke:

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
quality_sound said:
BOTH power leads should be yellow. Pioneer (and every other manufacturer) has had a color coding standard since the early 80's. Oh well, as long as it works! All you need to do is get it in and you'll be as cool as me. :p :wink: :poke:

Paul
I know about the color code , thats why im saying that , there was a original Tag on it saying illumination and battery , ( the actual tags were orange saying battery and yellow saying illumination)
I have installed more than 30 system for friends and family and i'm a electronic technician im not Bullshiting on that one ,trust me

and you know what , on the other thread you said you were sure my GEXP7000 tv tuner did not have a wire for the e-brake switch and actualy the blue wire was the e-brake signal.
just to refresh your memory
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75184&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gexp7000tv

The TV tuner doesn't have a parking brake wire. IIRC, the pink wire is a mute wire so if you get an incoming call, and you have a permanently mounted hands free kit, the TV tuner will mute and you'll be able to hear. Hook up the red, yellow and black normally and give it a go. I'm drawing a blank on the green wire at the moment though. It will work fine with just those 3 wires connected. After 9AM PST call Pioneer tech @ 1-800-Pioneer and they can tell you what the green and pink do for sure and probably fax or email you a manual.

Paul

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
Paul

I just found out ,you talk off your ass.
Just so you know for your future installations. :poke:

original link :
http://www.carstereo.com/help/radio_wires.cfm

Color codes:

PIONEER (models before 1999)

P o w e r
Memory (+12v Constant) Orange
Ignition (+12v Switched) Red
Ground (-) Black
Illumination Yellow
Phone Mute Yellow/Black
Power Antenna Blue
S p e a k e r s
Right Front (+) Gray
Right Front (-) Gray/Black
Left Front (+) Green
Left Front (-) Green/Black
Right Rear (+) Gray/Red
Right Rear (-) Black/Gray
Left Rear (+) Green/Red
Left Rear (-) Black/Green

Sony, Alpine, Pioneer (1999 and up), Eclipse, Kenwood, JVC, etc

P o w e r
Memory (+12v Constant) Yellow
Ground (-) Black
Dimmer Pink/White (Alpine only)
Power Antenna Blue
Amplifier Turn-on Blue/White
Phone Mute Light Blue (Sony only)
S p e a k e r s
Right Front (+) Gray
Left Front (+) White
Left Front (-) White/Black
Right Rear (+) Violet
Right Rear (-) Violet/Black
Left Rear (+) Green
Left Rear (-) Green/Black

Fabio :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
quality_sound said:

Paul
I know about the color code , thats why im saying that , there was a original Tag on it saying illumination and battery , ( the actual tags were orange saying battery and yellow saying illumination)
I have installed more than 30 system for friends and family and i'm a electronic technician im not Bullshiting on that one ,trust me

and you know what , on the other thread you said you were sure my GEXP7000 tv tuner did not have a wire for the e-brake switch and actualy the blue wire was the e-brake signal.
just to refresh your memory
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75184&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gexp7000tv

The TV tuner doesn't have a parking brake wire. IIRC, the pink wire is a mute wire so if you get an incoming call, and you have a permanently mounted hands free kit, the TV tuner will mute and you'll be able to hear. Hook up the red, yellow and black normally and give it a go. I'm drawing a blank on the green wire at the moment though. It will work fine with just those 3 wires connected. After 9AM PST call Pioneer tech @ 1-800-Pioneer and they can tell you what the green and pink do for sure and probably fax or email you a manual.

Paul

Very true, but what's your point? I haven't had the joy of putting one of those units in in about 3 years so forgive me if I'm wrong occassionally. Sometimes it's a little difficult to remember the small idiosyncracies of every manufacturer in the world. BTW, I also said I wasn't sure and to call Pioneer Tech Support for an exact answer.

Why would I doubt that you're an Electronic Technician (not that it has anything to do with your ability to do a proper car install)? In fact, some of the absolute worst installs I've ever seen were done by electronic technicians or worse, engineers. Being book smart doesn't give someone the skills necessary to do a proper car install just like being a good installer doesn't make you an engineer. Do you doubt me when I say I was in car audio for almost 14 years and have done thousands of installs? Why would I doubt the number of installs you've done?

Last, did you score a 100 on every test you took to become an engineer? So I guess even YOU make mistakes.

Did you ever have the "pleasure" of installing one of their HUs with the DFS+ "alarms"? Those sucked for goofy ass color codes.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
Paul

I just found out ,you talk off your ass.
Just so you know for your future installations. :poke:

original link :
http://www.carstereo.com/help/radio_wires.cfm

Color codes:

PIONEER (models before 1999)

P o w e r
Memory (+12v Constant) Orange
Ground (-) Black
Illumination Yellow
Phone Mute Yellow/Black
Power Antenna Blue
S p e a k e r s
Right Front (+) Gray
Left Front (+) Green
Left Front (-) Green/Black
Right Rear (+) Gray/Red
Right Rear (-) Black/Gray
Left Rear (+) Green/Red
Left Rear (-) Black/Green

Sony, Alpine, Pioneer (1999 and up), Eclipse, Kenwood, JVC, etc

P o w e r
Memory (+12v Constant) Yellow
Ground (-) Black
Dimmer Pink/White (Alpine only)
Power Antenna Blue
Amplifier Turn-on Blue/White
Phone Mute Light Blue (Sony only)
S p e a k e r s
Right Front (+) Gray
Left Front (+) White
Left Front (-) White/Black
Right Rear (+) Violet
Right Rear (-) Violet/Black
Left Rear (+) Green
Left Rear (-) Green/Black

Fabio :thumbup:

Wow, I guess you never made a mistake about anything have you? What makes you think your chart is right, dick? The fact that it was on a website? I sold and installed Pioneer (among other brands) from 1990-2002 and guess what, not all Pioneers had orange power leads. The color of the speaker leads is correct for units up until 99 though.

this one's gonna hurt, ass. Pay special attention to the first page with the colors of the wires for the brain.

http://pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/vgn/images/portal/cit_11221/49818crd3482a_200111271115497100.pdf

and page 91 of this one, dick.

http://pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/vgn/images/portal/cit_11221/49533CRB1591A_200012301158285470.pdf

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
quality_sound said:
Oh yeah, I got MY links from Pioneer directly.

Paul
Hey
Are you retarded ?

AVX-P7000CD and AVX-P7300CD are different units just so you know.

The links you displayed are for the AVX-7300.
the kid has a AVX-P7000CD and the brain is a different one too.

What are you trying to prove ?
I dont doubt your abilities to install these Mobile AV equipment, but you should not say something you dont know for sure.
Seriously you gave us wrong info twice now trying to cover it with a link to a different head unit so people think im a dickhead.

the manual for the AVX-P7000CD is not available online from Pioneer so if you do a research you will see that i was right in the post above .
and you started this shit saying that i was wrong about the color codes and all manufacturers comply to a color code since 80's .
so be a man and assume you were wrong about my tv tuner ( you said you were sure about the e-brake wire ) and about this color code thing with the AVX-P7000CD.

As you said something i make mistakes but i dont bullshit people here just to get credibility and post count. and sell my units instead of help

If that doesn't work, I have an Alpine IVA-C801 and DVA-5200 I'm selling that does work.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
1.8Tabamoura said:
AVX-P7000CD and AVX-P7300CD are different units just so you know.
Ya think?

The links you displayed are for the AVX-7300.
the kid has a AVX-P7000CD.
Which other than the "3" in the model number and the cd slot in the 7000cd, are the same thing and so is their wiring.

BTW, WTF did all the hostility come from? All I said was the battery lead should be yellow. If it's not, good for you, you got it to work. But being off on 2 posts out of the almost 2000 I've made hardly warrants the response you gave.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whao whoa guys! Calm down! :) Lets just be happy that everything in fact does work. :) I have to admit, that i feel a bit like an ass though. :sad: Unfortunutly i don't know anything about audio video, so i had to leave this to profesional installers. (niether of whitch were familar with pionneer decks).
The think that threw us off were in fact some of the wires coming from the brain. The only instrutions that were sent to us were for the TV tuner, so those were unless in our aplacation. Since this deck was like 2 years old, poneer doesn't have them in there list of manuels on there web site, and when i called for assistance to hook it up, they said led me step by step, and it still wouldn't open. Oh well. At least it works.
Unfortunutly, i might be selling the car to help out my family. :( Hopefuly it won't come down to that, but i'll know for sure in a couple of days.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
All i have to say is the 7300 has RCA inputs on the harness ( the 7000 doesnt)
and plenty of different things.

no more talking about this . end of history.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
4 Participants
1.8Tabamoura
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing