Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 cut fingers later :mad: :evil: :mad: :evil: . . . darn window glass still won't release from the rear driver's side door. Anyone with a repair manual? Trying to replace the door lock mechanism.

On the same note . . . . what should the door locks be lubed with? Should i be looking for a silicone-based lube . . . . WET original doesn't seem to be cutting it :wink:

Dave

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Dave, here are a few tips for ya. May not be exact, but will help.

Before you disconnect power, raise window so it is about 3/4 of the way shut. Remove door panel and you should then be able to see the two rubber plugs/circular discs. Remove these, and this should now allow you access to the 10mm bolts that hold the glass in. If you do not see the bolts, you can try and plug the controller back in and move the window up and down a little to gain access. Once you find the bolts remove, and carefully, from the outside of the door, shift window from side to side and pull up, being careful not to chip any edges. Once up about halt way, you can pull the glass towards yourself and out of the way. Set glass on a clean soft surface and you should be all set.

If someone has a Bently or Hanes manual, that would be even better.

HTH,
Steve

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks steve, i take it you got that info from here:

:wink: http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/doorlockmechanism.html

However on the rear, there is only one rubber plug, and no matter how much i raised / lowered the rear window, there weren't any bolts to remove. There was something that looked like it could be removed, but it was a plastic piece which was not very receptive to my attempts to remove it.

So yea, anyone with a bentley or haynes manual wanna step in?

Dave

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had to work on my rear driver's side window this weekend as the pin that connects the glass to the regulator had come out and the window wouldn't roll down.

If you roll the window all the way down and pull the lower round grommet, you'll see the plastic "pin" that goes through the regulator and glass and connects the two. The pin is 2 parts, the outer cylinder that friction-fits against the glass and regulator, and an inner cylinder which expands the outer cylinder. These can be knocked out (they sometimes fall out as in my case). To get to them you have to hold the metal cable to the side so you can get to the pin. You can either push both pieces out together or punch out the middle piece which will free the outer piece. Once that pin is out, the glass can be raised by hand so it is free of the regulator. At that point, I think you could remove that metal panel with the entire regulator assembly attached although I didn't have to do this.

Hope that helps,
Matt

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh, I was afraid of that. I stared at that thing for 30 minutes while my hand was bleeding. Kept on trying to pull the pin out with needle nose pliers but it just resulted in me getting more cuts.

Is it hard to replace that pin? From the looks of it, I don't have much room to work with and if that thing has to be punched out, I'm not sure i will be able to replace the outer ring.

I'll prolly attempt this over the weekend, once i buy some gloves. :wink:

EDIT: Just re-read your post, the inner pin expands the outer pin . . . . hehe. Either way, still nervous to be putting that much force on the glass. bleck :nervous:

·
Registered
325 Posts
The pin isn't too bad.

You can reference this thread as wel...

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18311

The 2 difficulties are getting it past the cable and not pushing it out the other side. I tried inserting the outer part and then tapping the inner part into it and only managed to push the whole thing out the other side. There didn't seem to be an easy way to get to the back side to hold it in. I ended up just putting them in as one piece. Just get something larger in diameter than the outer piece and tap the two pieces in, being careful not to push them all the way through.

I probably tried it 4 or 5 times different ways before I got it. I put a bit of silicone sealant on the outside edge of the outer piece so hopefully it won't slip out again.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
3 Participants
mtrostel
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing