Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am worried as I recently parked my car in an old garage and some sort of water leaked from the ceiling and seems to have spotted the paint on my car in a few places ? What can this be as I have washed my car and it did not come off . I hear it can be hard water ( lime ) ? Feels rough to the touch.

Any help would be appreciated as I hope the paint isn't really damaged :(

Thanks,
Johnny

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Review this post http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=15 and I'd leave the wet sanding to the trained professionals. There has been many "Opps I wet sanded through the clear " posts. The clear is only 2-3 mils thick and once your through there is no turning back.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Now, be very carefull and aware about wet sanding :nervous: . As Quality sounds does point out, the results are amazing, but also as Jesstzn said, the OPPS are NOT reversible!!. If you really need it, let a professional do it, there is a critical point on the thickness of the clear coat, and once crossed.... :poke: . Here is what i think you should try first, just in case..... Buy some 3M Perfect it II Rubbing Compound (safe for clear coat) and follow the directions on the bottle. Do not worries about any swirls, since you should follow with a cleaner wax, it will clean up the mess and wax your car as well. Of course, before all that, wash your car with mild car soap and warm water. If you cannot find the 3M products (usually at pep boys or part stores), you can try any Rubbing Compound (clear coat safe ones only!!) or Maguiar's paint scrubs. If it is not too bad, it should take care of it. What you can do is try a small area first........Later.....Rah.... :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
555 Posts
WHOOOAAAA ! !
DO NOT wet sand your car ! !
try the rubbing / polishing compound first, if that does not work, Buy some wire wheel cleaner. This cleaner has acid in it... so you have to be careful, Wet the car, and get the area sudsy with soap, spray the wire wheel cleaner on the area, and wash it like you normally would in those areas..... I detailed at a nearby dealer for years. the f'ing salesman would always allow the sprinklers to hard water stain the cars, and this is what we did. Unless you know how to properly cut and buff a car after wet sanding, I would not recommend coming near your paint with even 1500 grit sand paper.
dont let that wire wheel cleaner come near your paint unless it is wet or had bubbles from car soap, trust me this should work, it was practically a daily thing for me at work....

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
When I firt started detailing (MANY moons ago) wet sanding was one of the first things I learned to do. Just use a sanding block on the flat surfaces and use a light touch. Stop when you get the stain out. You could use a cutting agent and a DA polisher, but you have to be careful not to burn through the clear. And you don't have to cut a car after you sand it. A light polish like Meguiar's Deep Crystal or even their ScratchX will work great. After that a nice coat of wax and you're done. I think too many people are scared to try wet sanding because of the word sanding. It's just as easy to destroy your paint with a buffer.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have read about vinegar and it works but takes a lot of patience ....
Gentle side to side rubs are doing the trick !

I can't wait to get to the yearly professional wax job now ...

thanks for the advice
Johnny

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
10% Vinegar to Water mix....spray on and keep working on it, it will remove it. No need to start using rubbing compoud etc...it's a light build-up of mineral deposits. Same problem with the wifes Honda, get sprinkler spray all the time....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts