Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new switchblade with a blamk key for my 99 b5 and i have a question about it. IM switching from the banjo style keyfob to the new switchblade with 753 F code. Therefore i wont be switching keys and i have to do the new key. I read the treads about programming the remote which shouldnt be a problem but my question is what about the key. i mean once the key is cut and the remote is programmed will it work??? do i also have to program the key? All i know is that i have a black thing on the bottom of the key which could be a chip. please help me out cause my remote is almost done.
This is what i have.

THis is the one i ordered.

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,264 Posts
Check your owner's manual. There's no "programming" to be done for the key, i.e. anything that the dealer has to do. You have to "match" the remote to your ECU (or some module) and there's a procedure (you know, something like insert physical key and lock door while holding the remote button and farting twice) to do that. I don't remember exactly what it is, but I found it (in either the owner's manual or the Bentley) when I had to replace the banjo key on my '98.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx rusty, it was exactly as you mentionned. i got the key done at the dealer for 15$. and all i had to do was the programming procedure for the remote and thats it. its all good and the remote looks great.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Your button pad seems to be a bit worn. Sometimes they won't spring back and ends up draining the batteries.

Here's a ebay dealer that sells a "refurbishment kit" of sorts. New button pad and emblem. I bought mine when he was selling them individually. Button pad cost $12 then. So I suppose $30 for 2 sets of pads and emblems isn't too bad.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/key-...ryZ40016QQihZ020QQitemZ300037491778QQtcZphoto

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no thats just a reference to what it looks like. its not the exact item i ordered. thx for ur concern anyways.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was wondering if this was possible w/ my 98, now I know I can get it done, just have to find the earlier style of switchblade since I have the "AM" version. To ebay I go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts