Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the VW dealership last week and they couldn't figure out which part it was. The connector that snaps onto the oil pressure sender is the part I need. I assuem this connector comes with the wire too.

Can someone help identify this part so I can get a new one ordered? The car is a 1.8T, year 2001 1/2.

Thanks!

·
Registered
26,648 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Looking at Ekta, I find:
> Connector housing, black, 1 pin, 1J0 973 081
> Grommet, 10x32, 811 971 867

That won't include the connector, but the VW dealer, or ECS Tuning, etc., should be able to identify the "repair wire" that fits that connector.

If you search "repair wire" on ecstuning.com you can see how they are supplied, two connectors on a length of wire. I don't know what this connector looks like, but 000 979 228 E would by my first guess.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you! Sorry for the delayed reply. Just now got to this. I was able to take some pics of the existing connector and its part number is 1J0 973 701... as opposed to 1J0 973 081. However, as far as I can tell from the pics on the Net, they both look the same. Any ideas?

Also, the reason I wanted a new connector was because I couldn't get the existing to "snap" on like I thought it should. I assumed there was a little hook of some sort on it that was broken, preventing it from locking on... but now I'm not so sure. But, I can't get enough leverage in that tight area to get it to click on... and that was the problem from the get-go. It would wiggle off far enough to give intermittent false readings (STOP engine light, low oil pressure). I know that's the problem as I put a gauge on the car and drove it around for 1+ month. The light would come on, I'd push the connector back on, and the light would go off.

Anyone have any ideas here? This is driving me nuts!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I visit a dealer or call someone with VW parts access. Now that you have a part number, they can look it up. Sometimes, a part is superceded with a different part number, but is still a drop in replacement. They should also be able to tell you if there are any extra things, like a boot, etc.

(Edit: I have a PDF of the 2005 Etka, but not an updated version. There's also a special electrical parts catalog, which I don't have.)

·
Registered
26,648 Posts
If it is a blade connector, you can crimp the blade slightly to make it tighter. If needle nose pliers don't fit inside the housing, you can use a disconnect tool and pull the blade connector out enough to crimp it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts