Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have just purchesed an 04 Passat GLS 1.8t w/4-motion. I'm looking to buy a set of rims however I'm not sure what size to get. The stock rims are the pathetic 15's so what will happen to my car if I opt for 18" or 19"? I like the look of these larger rims. I don't want to mess up my speedo or anything with a bigger rim. Can anyone suggest a size or even a particular rim for my new car? Even a low priced website would be great! Thanks in advance. :???:

·
Registered
745 Posts
hey,
Many ppl here will tell you to go 18s and others will tell u 17"... some of the brave ones will even tell u 19"s :) ahha... After beein here in the forums for a while i learned that 18"s are no doubt the best looking wheels on the passat, that is best looking/comfortable. 19" do look good in some cars but they are not the best size for everyday driving. It also depends where u live, if where u live there are lots of potholes and the roads are pretty bad then 17" will be better than 18" cuz u will feel less of the hole and will not mess up ur wheels as easily. so there is my info to ya about that...
some good websites are:
www.tirerack.com
www.edgeracing.com
www.wheelsnext.com
www.spyeng.com
and there are many more, do a search and u will find out lots of passats with many different styles of wheels..
good luck and welcome!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Living in mass I wouldnt suggest getting 19"s thats just asking for bent rims. You wont have to worry about your speedo really since if you get a bigger rim the total diameter at the outside of the tire itself stays very very close. I have 18" rims and drive through Boston often, the roads there are about as bad as they get and you have to be a little more attentive so you dont slam into any potholes at and bend your rims. Depending where you drive go with 17-18" rims. I am keeping my stocks for winter tires since 18 winter tires are a lot of money and hard to comeby.

Tirerack.com is the sponsor for this forum and has one of the largest selections of rims you will find. Brands are up to personal taste but it appears BBS, Audi, and other european styled rims are the most popular around here...not many people run chrome either so dont post pictures of those and expect a positive response.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been reading some other posts and people have been talking about lowering the suspension to accomodate the rims. What size can I go up to without lowering the suspension? :crazy:

·
Registered
745 Posts
You can go any size without lowering but its gonna look pretty bad, your car is gonna look like a Touareg. Obviously 17" are closer to stock so if you keep your stock suspension it will look better than 18" since there is a smaller gap btw the wheel and the top of the fender. but u can go anysize... its good to lower, not only for looks but for safety/performance. If you get any wheels, either 17s or 18s then i would look into a good sport suspension package. you dont need to lower it alot but just a little bit will prevent that SUV look on ur car!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I personally think that 19's look sweet as hell. To be on the safe side though I would go with 18's maybe even 17's depending on what you want. The larger the rim you get the more of the road you are going to feel. I agree with living in Mass you you probably be better off with 18's, but of course there are many factors to consider. To be honest I would go with the samllest rim that you are comfortable looking at. Take a look at a bunch of pics on this site and decide for yourself what look you like. I you would be happy with the look of 17's I would go with that because they are cheaper, easier to maintain, and easier on your butt.

Just my $.02
Thad. :D

·
Registered
67 Posts
You were thinking 19's without lowering. Sorry, but forget it.. :lol:
I would say that even 18" is too big without lowering. Just like r3awak3n said, it looks like Touareg...

Here's mine before installing new suspension, believe what I'm saying, I've been there: :oops:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those look great. Where can I get a set and the center caps as well. Was there a big problem in putting the new wheel on with the airbag? I'm looking to get those in 18's. They should still look good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.