Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone tell me how to change gear knob(manul) please...

i though i just need to twist it out, but i couldn't..... :cry:

thanx

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2002-3 i think i did removed a clip under the knob,still wouldn't work but don't know if it is the one you are talking about...

you got any pics??

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
1. Pull out the bottom of the shift boot, it's just held in by a plastic ring, but be careful and remove it.

2. Lift the boot up and over the knob to see what's holding it on. It will either be a screw on (you'll see threads) or an evil looking crimp-on connector.

3. If it's the crimp on connector, use a flat bladed screwdriver and shove it in there until it's mutilated enough that you can get a pair of snips around it and cut it off.

4. When putting you're new knob on, use whatever fasteners they supply, or if it needs to be re-crimped on (In my case I put a Skoda knob on) Just use a really small hose clamp from AutoZone or PepBoys.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i did the first step, and i don't see threads, which should be the crimp-on connecter.... and... the connecter you are talking about is a white plastic thing with an metal "ring"(clamp) on it right?? which i had to cut the connecter in order to take it off....

but still too tight.... can't pull the gear knob off

do i pull it or......

:???:
anyone got pics please??

·
Registered
575 Posts
yep...same proceedure, different knob. "Reverse" is different on G/J trannys.

Darin

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
what does the Skoda knob look like???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts