Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

NEED HELP!! brake light failure

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  John and the GLX 
#1 ·
Okay here's the deal....I was driving down the highway when I passed a friend. After seeing him I slowed down :) to give a wave (he drives an xterra) he called my cell to tell me that my brake lights don't work. The light in the window does but neither of the tail brake lights do. The next day I decided that I would start with the fuses. Checked them all nothing wrong. So then I moved onto the bulbs.....neither bulb blown. So I decided that I would get out my dumby light tester kit and see if there was a signal coming to the bulb at all. Had a friend sit in the car and press on the brake....turns out there is no signal at all. Keep in mind that my tail lights (when headlights are on) still work, as do my reverse lights. This is starting to frustrate me as I don't know where to look next. I'm feeling as if I might have to head to the stealership but as usual I'm trying to avoid this at all costs. I ran a search and didn't come up w/ much here, so I'm hoping that someone might have some input that will help me. Any help is much appreciated....thanks

#2 ·
all symptoms point to blown fuses :???: , but if you already check it then i can't help that mauch... sorry

#6 ·
Hmm... shoudln't be the switch (the CSL is illuminating) everything points to fuses... double check that, the wiring is kinda wacky on our cars, I blew out the light in my trunk and my car wouldn't start :crazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.