Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I've got a strange problem and I hope someone else out there has seen this before or knows what it is.

My car was parked for about 4 days, I tried to unlock it, hit the remote button and only the drivers door would unlock. I also noticed that there was a VERY faint flash from the yellow blinkers.

Anyways, I get in and try to start the car, all dashboard lights come on normally and radio starts up. When I turn the key to crank, NOTHING. I start to worry a little and keep trying, it's now getting kinda hot in the car so I try to roll down my window, that doesn't work either...

I use the APR flipswitch to erase codes and TB alignment, that didn't do anything, but when I switched to the stock program the car starts and runs normally. I drive to my destination and park the car until the next morning and get in to go to work, car starts fine and I get to work no problem.

Later that day I go back to car and have the same starting problems... flipswitch has no effect, I check the fuses, as I pull and replace them one by one, one of them triggers the door chime to start, windows work again and the car starts normally. I get home, park and the car refuses to start, also it will not beep or flash the red light with the key in door or by remote (remote doesn't work at all). Next day remote works fine and car starts normally...

I've got some theories:

1 - immobilizer is kicking in? this is for a 2000 GLS so not even sure if it has one.
2 - comfort control module on the fritz? from what I know this is under the drivers footwell/seat.
3 - key remote batteries going dead? this shouldn't make it so you can't start the car...

Any other ideas? I have a feeling it's #2 since the windows/alarm/starting problems seem to be related.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Make sure your battery is working correct because windows pull a lot of power and with the faint lights i just dont think you have enough power and to turn over your engine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vwwanksta69 said:
Make sure your battery is working correct because windows pull a lot of power and with the faint lights i just dont think you have enough power and to turn over your engine.
My first thought was the battery as well, but battery is a brand new optima red top. The problem is not low voltage or amperage, everything else in the car work, ventilation, lights, stereo, etc. just not the windows, alarm, and starter.

Thanks though!

·
Registered
93 Posts
You might want to check the battery post connections for corrosion. This could cause intermittent electrical problems. Remove and clean the battery posts and clamps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
centrifugalpower
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing