Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some basic instruction from anyone that knows how to remove the front and rear valances on a B5. I've seen threads saying just remove the screws but at a quick glance they are not the normal hex head screws and it looks like they are also attached inside the wheel wells and to the belly pan.

I also need to know if you have to remove the wheels before attempting and any other tricky scenarios I may run into trying to do this.

TIA,
Brian :)

·
Registered
940 Posts
You have to remove the entire bumper for the front and rear. There are Torx-15 screws for both bumpers at the wheel wells (3 each). For the rear, there are two other Torx-30 (i think) where the trunk lid meets the bumper, and probably a couple more under it.

As for the front bumper, you have to remove your belly pan. Two Torx 30 screws will appear after you remove your corner lights and three torx 20 screws on top of your front grill. There are two metric screws that you have to take off too.

After all these screws are removed, you have to slide the rear bumper backwards to remove it. As for the front, slide it forwards :)

Have fun. I just read thru what i typed above and it didn't make any sense to me, but hope it helps :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are making this sound a lot harder than I bargained for. :nervous: I thought from some other threads that the front valance unscrews and drops down without having to remove the bumper and the rear was a two piece and did the same :???:

Where do you get the torx drivers?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
djskribble705 said:
why not just buy a new bumper from

www.tmtuning.com

they have way better designs then stock, and those valences are so dam expensive, i would rather buy a new bumper!!!
I dont' need a front bumper. I have a Zender front spoiler that fits where the plastic valance is now. I want to put it on this weekend and make sure it fits good before I get it painted. From what I understood from those with Zender fronts is it is a pretty easy job, but from the posts above it looks like I have to remove the whole bumper which I didn't anticipate. :cry:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
ary you sure you need to remove valance at all. My Votex valance was pulled over OE valance. I was not removing OE valance but, I do not think you must do that. To be sure go underneat and check.Maybe you wil be forced to move belly pan in order to have enough space for hands working around valance. For rear, you have nothing to do..there is nothing to be done.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nenad said:
ary you sure you need to remove valance at all.
Yes, thanks. For the Zender on a B5, you have to remove the lower plastic valance because it clips to the bumper. For the Zender on B5.5, it fits over the existing.

I also just called a local VW dealer and they said the rear plastic valance can be removed (must be different in Russia) without removing the rear bumper. It's a matter of getting to the clips that hold it on. The front however, the whole bumper has to be removed.

Thanks for the diagrams! :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
DogWitaB5
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing