Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah...waaaaaaaaay old car; however, I'm helping a buddy change the rear rotors and pads on his daughter's Probe GT and cannot find anything online that tells me the size bolts, tools needed, etc....had him over the other day and the hub nut is gigantic! Had to put the wheel back on and tell him we'd tackle it some other day.

Any former Ford mechanics or people with Ford dealership friends?

Thank!

:thumbup:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
"Need "ETKA" for 1994 Ford Probe GT"

Sounds like a fair swap, where do you want the ETKA posted, please send the Probe to my house, I'll PM you my address.

If you enjoy searching amongst your PEERs, you may be able to find some Ford manuals online

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol.....

let me restate then, I cannot find any ford manuals online going into details on the bolts and tools needed for a rotor/pad change of a ford probe gt

Can anyone help.

How's that? :poke:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
:D

Have you tried the usual owners clubs/forums?

http://www.fpoc.co.uk/index.html - UK based and would appear to require you to sign up to see the goodies, but they have a Tech section.

I presume the basic parts are the same (NA vs UK/Europe)

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found out that metric really doesn't work well on Ford cars :)

Yeah, I was trying to avoid signing up for yet another car club, but looks like I'll have to go that route. Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
Metric, crap, sorry, forgot all about that.

http://www.ukpoc.co.uk/

That appears to be open to all.

if you bung "site:www.ukpoc.co.uk <your search term here>" into Google you save yourself a lot of trouble.

4mm allen key for the calliper is all I've found so far :(

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Registered with the one, but an admin has to "approve" me :banghead: There's no simple search function...that sucks. Appreciate the help though...I'll keep a 4mm allen in mind.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
http://www.ehow.com/how_4968345_replace-brake-shoes-ford-probe.html

• Floor jack
  • Jack stands (2)
  • Wheel chock
  • ½-inch drive breaker bar
  • ½-inch drive socket set
  • ½-inch drive adjustable torque wrench
  • Impact screwdriver with a Phillips head bit
  • Hammer
  • Flathead screwdriver
  • Needle nosed pliers
  • Set of cutting dikes
  • Brake clean spray
  • Light grade sand paper or emery cloth
  • Silicone based brake lubricant
  • New set of shoes
  • New set of rear brake shoe hardware (recommended)
Kapow!

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome...and to think I didn't trust ehow! I notice though it doesn't mention the size of the spindle nut (with was 3/4" on each side) or the caliper bolt. Feeling bored and want to search for more? :lol:

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
If it's not too late, I would strongly suggest adjusting the parking brake. . . in fact I would go so far as to say you should probably just replace it, it's one of the few cheap things to replace on this car. I'm pretty sure it's pretty commonplace for it to just suddenly freeze up with no warning.

I recall, like it was yesterday, when mine froze (out of the blue on a warm spring day) and I had to have it towed to my local Ford dealership for replacement. Knowing me, I probably still have the receipt somewhere.

LINKAGE for DIY on parking brake adjustment.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no kidding?! Wow...thanks sullie....I'll have to tell my buddie that and forward that link to him. That would not be cool.

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
Awesome...and to think I didn't trust ehow! I notice though it doesn't mention the size of the spindle nut (with was 3/4" on each side) or the caliper bolt. Feeling bored and want to search for more? :lol:
I'm all searched out on Fords - I knew we were odd lusting over Passats but Ford Probe forums...wow.

Maybe this is your inroad into Probe-dom - you can do a write up on how to change the rear pads/discs :D

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm all searched out on Fords - I knew we were odd lusting over Passats but Ford Probe forums...wow.

Maybe this is your inroad into Probe-dom - you can do a write up on how to change the rear pads/discs :D
no way.....I'll do trial/error before I care THAT much about a probe :lol: Thanks though.....that definitely helped. The spindle nut looks like a 18 wheeler type socket.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no no, dude click on the link to the pdf on that russian page.
ahahahahahaha......finding "pdf" amongst a TON of russian characters just made my eyes go blind for a sec. That was MONEY. That is everything I needed!!!

Much much much obliged to all of you!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Glad to help.

Also Ctrl + F next time. Darn thing is so addictive I look for a keyboard when I am reading a book sometimes :banghead:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts