Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently saw a post regarding PBR/Axxis Metal Masters pads Powerdiscs but a bit confused. I need to put new pads on the rear brakes immediately and need to know the exact Make/part no. for them. I"m not sure PBR is the brand, Axxis? or Metal Masters?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
PBR/Axxis is the same... metal Masters is the type of pad, they are a low dust, high milage pad with a good bite once they warm up, but they are a little weak until they are warm. The Deluxe and Ultimates are also great PBR/Axxis pads.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I believe the Ultimates are around 65 for the fronts, 10-15 less for the rears, they are the strongest brakers... and they also have the most dust, noise, and wear the most. The metal masters last longest, have low dust, and medium noise and decent grip, but not as much as the deluxe pads which are kinda the middle ground for everything in terms of grip. They last longer than the ultimates, but not as long as the metal masters, they give off more dust than the metal masters, but not as much as the ultimates, I believe noise is also less than the metal masters and ultimates. Overall they are all great pads, I believe my setup is going to be the ATE Powerslot rotors (Crazy wavy ones :D) with Deluxe up front, and metal masters on stock rotors in back (low dust, and they last a while). You will definatly notice reduced fade, and much more grip, though overall stopping distance may not change much (the stock brakes have no trouble activating ABS, and if ABS is activating, then your brakes are not the problem... they are already gripping as hard as is needed to stop the wheel. At that point, you will want to look into a stickier tire compound.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hawks pads from Tirerack.com . I have them with slotted brembros in the front and the oem rotors in the back. Hawk's got great bite (no fade at all) but does squeal like a little pig .... suuuueeee.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
does the 2002 i.8t passat have sensors ALL around or just up front? i went to that link and all i found was ones with the sensors for front pads only :???: BTW, what is a good cross drilled rotor to go with?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
All Passat B5.5s in the US come with front brake sensors, not the rear. As for cross drilled, unless they are forged (expensive process... the rotors are about 160 each) then they will probably crack (BAD!!!!) go with some slotted ones. If you could care about pad life, and you just want the slotted for added outgassing, go with the ECS Tuning ones... they are good quality. if you are looking for something that will keep pad life very high, go with the ATE Powerslot rotors, (the ones with the wavy designs on them) as those will not have the "pad shaving" effect of the traditional slotted rotors.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have the powerslots up front and plain rotors in back with metal masters all around. They have been on the car for about a month and this setup is much better than stock. No squeal, no dust, and it saved me half the money it would cost if I went to the dealer. Even though they are better when warm they are still better than the stock setup. From reading the numerous brake posts lately it looks like the deluxe are better all around than the metal masters but I am happy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Thanks for the reply :thumbup: Also, Do i need any special tools to do the job? Do I need to reset anything for the sensors :???:

·
Registered
418 Posts
peppy said:
Thanks for the reply :thumbup: Also, Do i need any special tools to do the job? Do I need to reset anything for the sensors :???:
Rent the caliper tool from autozone and you will be done with 4 corners in a hour

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
the caliper tool is only need for the back set since you have to turn and push down, the fronts you will need to use a channel lock or some big plyers or a c-clamp. I am using PAGID...the are working very good as far as stopping, BUT I have a squeel and the sensor connection is not the same as on my car.

BTW, I have a 2001, and it has sensors for front.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
landarcht said:
I recently saw a post regarding PBR/Axxis Metal Masters pads Powerdiscs but a bit confused. I need to put new pads on the rear brakes immediately and need to know the exact Make/part no. for them. I"m not sure PBR is the brand, Axxis? or Metal Masters?
Thanks.
I wouldn't recommend keeping stock pads up front and using a more aggressive brakepad in the rear. You might want to install PBR/Axxis Deluxe Plus pads instead of the Metal Masters or Ultimates. Someone previously posted the Import Replacement Parts Company website, which should list the correct PBR/Axxis pads for your car!

Good luck.

Swami

p.s. Now if you replace the fronts as well, then go for the Metal Masters.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I was under the impression that the deluxe pads had more bite than the Metal Masters. Especially when the system is still cold. I am using metal masters because of their enhanced wear characteristics (my rear pads just died after 10k miles!)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Then you mean they fade very easily? Would the ultimates be a better choice for the fronts? Metal masters are definatly going on the rears, becuase of the wear situation. The fronts I was thinking of the Deluxe because of a review I read comparing all three. I want my brakes to last at least 40k :-\

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
7 Participants
VWPassatGLX155
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing