Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have been a member from way back when I had a 1999 A6 Quattro 2.8.

The background here is that I will (very likely) be buying a B5.5 Passat Variant TDi (AVF or AWX) in Slovakia - soon, maybe next week. I was going to go with a Rover 75 CDTi Tourer (BMW M47R engine), but they are getting rarer (good ones, anyway). So, plan B, and likely the more sensible plan, is the Passat. It will get 4-6 months use per year. It will get a remap or a tuning box (Synergy). Here is what I have gleaned from reading:

The AVF is only mated to the 6-speed. The 6-speed will probably fail catastrophically. This combo has the 240mm clutch that will withstand some extra torque.

The AWX is only mated to the 5-speed. The 5-speed is more reliable and probably won't fail catastrophically. This combo has the 228mm clutch that WILL slip/fail with ANY additional torque from a tune or box.

They both have a DMF that will fail with a tune or box - well, the 5-speed 228mm one, anyway. The 6-speed 240mm one, I don't know.

So, given this understanding, I think I had better go with the AWX 5-speed and find a clutch solution.

The power/torque would likely be maximum 120kw (160bhp)/386Nm (285 ft lbs). Must I replace the original DMF and can I get a 228mm clutch that won't slip and fail in 6 months or a year? The driving will be about 50/50 city/highway. The hardest loads will be 80-120 km/h overtaking. City driving will be fairly docile.

If I have misunderstood the info about engines, transmissions & clutches, please set me straight.

Thanks in advance,
Glenn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Glenn,

I went through a manual conversion last winter on my 05 Passat BHW. I got a 5 speed, due to cost and reliability, with a Valeo clutch kit that had the single mass flywheel. Since the ECU needed to be flashed anyways, i got the stage one tune from Malone along with it.
I had zero problems with the clutch slipping and i have not noticed any noise in idle so i'm rather happy!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just looked up the specs of the Malone tune, it's rated for 163 wheel HP and that is with an automatic. I think it would be safe to assume that the WHP with a manual would be a little more, closer to 170 if measured at the flywheel. IMO that shouldn't be a problem :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a bhw, fhn with stage II tune and it shredded the valeo. It hooked up for a couple months but after that it started to get progressively worse. After 4 years it will slip in third gear with half throttle. It also ate the axles and front snubber. Hungry beast! I don't know what has to be done to cope with a big turbo which will be my next project.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
I have a 2004 4Motion AVF with a six speed and a 170 hp tune. The car has 330,000 km and the only thing I have done to the transmission is change the fluid once at around 150K km. No issues and I drive it rather "lively."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts