Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it is a 2001 v6 5sp.79000 mil. did a oil change 4000 mi. ago , and cheked the oil today,and had to add 1,5qt.car runs fine ,oil light did not come on. I don't know what is going on,oh yeah and there is no any oil leaks at all ,valve are ok and the car is not smoking out .need advice,need some help :hmmm:

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Are you sure it was full when you did the previous oil change? If no oil puddles, no oil in coolant, no blue exhaust smoke, and no smell of burning oil (leaking on exhaust), then just continue to monitor your oil level every week or so. Using 1.5 quarts is not uncommon in 4k miles although I only drop about 1/2 quart every 5k at 114k miles on my V6.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable amount of oil consumption. Did you recently change oil brand or weights? What about the PCV system, did you check that? There are some other threads on that.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
2.8L eats a bit of oil. Its pretty normal and under 2qt per 5k isn't that scary.
Check your oil at every fill up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did not chek PCV sys.I ll have to take engine covers tonight ,and check on that,and no burning oil smell

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
How fast did this oil go down or was the last time you checked it when you did the change? I make a practice of checking it a day after the change then every second fill up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure it was full when you did the previous oil change? If no oil puddles, no oil in coolant, no blue exhaust smoke, and no smell of burning oil (leaking on exhaust), then just continue to monitor your oil level every week or so. Using 1.5 quarts is not uncommon in 4k miles although I only drop about 1/2 quart every 5k at 114k miles on my V6.
I will keep an aye on it

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
if you read the owners amnual it says oil consuption is normal.
my passat needs no oil, my A4 used 1 qt between changes.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How fast did this oil go down or was the last time you checked it when you did the change? I make a practice of checking it a day after the change then every second fill up.
ihave cheked it probably for two weeks every day after oil change and it was all good

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
It scares me a lot,since i only have this car 4 mos.
It really shouldn't. Its just how these engines tend to be. At 80k, 1.5qt in 4000mi is nothing to worry about in any car.
Just read that it dropped quick. Ok, that is something to worry about.
I'd monitor and maybe replace PCV beather system.
Anything in the coolant? How's teh coolant level?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It really shouldn't. Its just how these engines tend to be. At 80k, 1.5qt in 4000mi is nothing to worry about in any car.
I will read the manual,and kind of take your ward for it ,and olso keep an aye on depstick

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
coolant is all good ;red; just did tim.belt kit swap.,engine temp. all good ,all the time,i will check PCV

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds like a reasonable amount of oil consumption. Did you recently change oil brand or weights? What about the PCV system, did you check that? There are some other threads on that.
I will call the guy who did TB kit for me ,he olso did oil change at the same time ,I will ask what oil weight did he use

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
keep an eye on it and let us know how it goes.
does the car have any visible leaks?
does it blow blue smoke when you start it?
when that oil was changed are you sure it was completly full after doing it?
the car has a big filter and mine takes 6.7 qts on a change.(thats what the tech put in at the dealer, i seen the flow meter)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the car has a big filter and mine takes 6.7 qts on a change.(thats what the tech put in at the dealer, i seen the flow meter)
I just finishedlooking under the hood for PCV and else ,man ,all looks good ,no eaks no smoke ,nothing,and yeah I already talk to a mechanic,he think he did 10/30 mobil full syn.(motherf****)It may have something to do with oil weight,I will drive it for another week ,and see what is going on

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
he said it took about 6 QT,and olso when I cheked the level it was fine

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I just finishedlooking under the hood for PCV and else ,man ,all looks good ,no eaks no smoke ,nothing,and yeah I already talk to a mechanic,he think he did 10/30 mobil full syn.(motherf****)It may have something to do with oil weight,I will drive it for another week ,and see what is going on
Why is 10w30 in the V6 a problem, if you live in Sacramento? Would think 5w30 might be better during the winter, but 10w30 certainly should be ok, in the V6.

I'm just curious, am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts