Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I just did the seafoam thing and changed out the oil. I do have suction at the oil cap, still a tiny leak, but here's the kicker; oil leaks out a LOT faster when the oil cap is off. What does that mean??? with it on I'm getting one drip about every 5 seconds, with it off it flows like water. help!!!!

·
Registered
27,411 Posts
The vacuum inside the engine is slowing the oil leak. With the cap off, the vacuum is simply pulling in air and the crankcase is no longer in vacuum, so the oil leaks out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vacuum inside the engine is slowing the oil leak. With the cap off, the vacuum is simply pulling in air and the crankcase is no longer in vacuum, so the oil leaks out.
AHA!! Now this damn thing is starting to make sense! So replacing the PCV system, and using seafoam to get rid of some of the gunk, did help. Changing out the VCGs next weekend (and all those other little finicky things) should take care of the problem. It's driveable now (for short emergency trips only) but I'm just going to start it up a few times this week to keep the battery going until I get to the big repairs next weekend. Before I did the PCV and the seafoam flush I was getting blowout from the oil cap instead of vacuum; a quick paper test after the oil change this morning shows I have vacuum in there now. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
27,411 Posts
Have you found out exactly where the leak is coming from? Before anything, I would try to narrow down the leak. If it's the front main seal, you would be taking the front off and it's far easier to do the VCG, cam caps and CCT seals with the front off. If it's the rear main seal, the engine or trans has to come out. I've replaced a rear main on a Subaru, but not a Passat. With the V6, the rear main is a hassle due to the exhaust. If it's just a blown out cam cap, that would leak quickly, but the rear main on the Subaru was a steady drip and it went through a liter in 70 miles.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure it's the valve cover gaskets at the very least, the caps & cam seal will be changed out as well. If it still leaks after that, car is going byebye as we just don't have the time or $$ to deal with it anymore. Until I get the valve covers off it's hard to tell exactly where the leak is coming from; when the engine is warmed up, there's a very slow drip coming straight down the front center of the oil pan (clean oil, not sludgy). I haven't jacked the car up so I can get my head completely underneath to see exactly where it's coming from. Could also be the oil pan gasket, but we'll burn that bridge when we get there.

·
Registered
27,411 Posts
The front center is possibly a cam seal, but could even be a bad oil plug or cracked pan. Lift the car and check. You can also remove the upper timing belt covers to check the front cam seals.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts