Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I am new to the VW arena. I am in the market for purchasing a Passat and want to make this my everyday car. I went to the dealership and test drove the 6cyl and the 4cyl and all it did was confuse me.

My present car is a 2000 BMW Dinan 740i sport. I orginally purchased this car to make it my everyday auto.

It was great till the transmission went out at 74,000 miles and BMW customer service basically told me to kiss there behinds!!! BMW shut the door in my face as if I was selling life insurance and pre-paid legal services to their CEO and his wife.

To make a long story short I am now paying $5,100.00 for a new transmission that halted out of character.

But at any rate I vowed to get rid of the beamer and I test drove the passat and was impressed. It gets up just as fast as my 740i. I want it bad.

Any info would be great..... Year to buy, How long do they last, etc.

Thanks,
a former beamer owner. :bow:
Oracleman
aka willj

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
If you are interested in upgrading and making it faster, you can do alot with less money on the 1.8T. If you want to leave it mainly in a stock configuration then the V6 is the way to go. Just my .02

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Oracleman, tell Larry I said Hi. I work for Peoplesoft :poke:

Just kidding man. Welcome to the club. Now, if you are at all interest or think there is a chance that you may be interested in doing mods to improve the performance of the engine, go with the 1.8t.

The reason is this: With around $500, you can chip it and make it have pretty much the same or more horsepower and torque as the V6, and it will weigh less.

Although, if you are not interested in engine mods (not very former-Dinan-owning-BMW sounding) then maybe the V6 is your bag of tea. It is much more expensive to tune up the V6 though, but it can be done.

Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
peoplesoft.. LOL.. :p I am only sticking my tounge out cause I don't know it.......

When I test drove the 1.8T in comparison with the V6 it seems that you have to press the peddle all the way down before you get a good acceleration kick.

If I add the chip to the 4cyl does that mean it will be just as fast on the takeoff as the 6?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
oracleman said:
peoplesoft.. LOL.. :p I am only sticking my tounge out cause I don't know it.......

When I test drove the 1.8T in comparison with the V6 it seems that you have to press the peddle all the way down before you get a good acceleration kick.

If I add the chip to the 4cyl does that mean it will be just as fast on the takeoff as the 6?
You will most likely smoke the V6 with a chipped 1.8T. I would recommend getting the manual 5-spd for the best fun factor!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I recently bought a V6 5 spd. The low-end torque is phenominal, and I love driving this car. I have to remind myself to behave constantly to avoid getting a ticket from the local $$ hungry police force. I have never driven a car that is this much fun to drive. Why mod a 4cyl.. when the 6 cyl. gives you all you need and that much more. I got up over 100mph on the expressway without even realizing it!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Blue A said:
I recently bought a V6 5 spd. The low-end torque is phenominal, and I love driving this car. I have to remind myself to behave constantly to avoid getting a ticket from the local $$ hungry police force. I have never driven a car that is this much fun to drive. Why mod a 4cyl.. when the 6 cyl. gives you all you need and that much more. I got up over 100mph on the expressway without even realizing it!! :thumbup:
Yep, but even a stock 1.8T gives you the same feeling on the highway. At highway speeds, the turbo guarantees instant gratification when you press the pedal and the whole car just feels better and better the faster it goes. The fun has merely just begun at 100 mph.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My 1.8T Passat is just as much fun to drive if not more. The torque is there down low even though the turbo isn't spooled. Then when it spools, hold on. Just got my tiny K04 kit running right in the last few weeks, got her up to 140 and she has more in her. Just cruising there is plenty or power. The K04 is how this car should have come from the factory. It is a blast to drive. All together I spent about 1500 on my setup and it will walk most cars on the road. I love my 1.8t and wouldn't trade for an expensive to mod V6, exspecially when the 1.8t can surpass that V6 in performance with very little money/effort.

Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Another option that you may want to consider is picking up a W8 Passat. While not as mod friendly as the 1.8T it is probably closer in power to that of your 740 and would probably offer a similar driving dynamic.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I went with the V6, one of the few on the forums here (AFAIK). I found that that it is a smoother, quieter engine, which made me feel more like I was in a luxury sedan. Plenty of power, but not mod-friendly as has been said.
If you are worried about your warantee and will not be chipping the engine, I would stick with the V6.

Also, if you end up in a GLX you get a lot more options -- Climatronic, power leather seats, cold weather package, autodimming rearview mirror, reverse-tilt and power folding side mirrors.

Edit: Welcome to the forums :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I love my V6. The only two complaints I have are I did not get a stick and it is not a variant. :lol: It is a dream to drive on the highway which is where I spend most of my driving.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
rpaller is pretty much right about the stick - I use the tiptronic nonstop and it makes me think I would have preferred a manual tranny. Of course, tip doesn't have a clutch which is nice in traffic, which I do hit daily on my commute :(

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
I have a 1999 V6 with a manny tranny and I love the torque. It's so silkly smooth from 2000 to redline (6400). I notice that the torque in first gear past 5000 rpm is pretty flat. To get the best accelleration out of my B5, I usually shift into second a little after 5000 and redline after that.

As far as reliability is concerned, I have had no major mechanical problems with my car except for the CV boot ripping. There are people on this board who are well above the 100,000 mile marker and some of them are chipped too. Just get an extended warranty for some piece of mind, stick around here, and you'll do okay.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I love my 1.8t and wouldn't trade for an expensive to mod V6, exspecially when the 1.8t can surpass that V6 in performance with very little money/effort.
JEM, are you sure that the 1.8t can surpass the V6 in performance??? I have my doubts about this statement. My V6 5spd has all the get-up-and-go I could ever imagine, I have trouble believing a Turbo 4 cylinder could compete with the power of the V6 in it's factory stock condition. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Blue A said:
I love my 1.8t and wouldn't trade for an expensive to mod V6, exspecially when the 1.8t can surpass that V6 in performance with very little money/effort.
JEM, are you sure that the 1.8t can surpass the V6 in performance??? I have my doubts about this statement. My V6 5spd has all the get-up-and-go I could ever imagine, I have trouble believing a Turbo 4 cylinder could compete with the power of the V6 in it's factory stock condition. :crazy:
In stock trim the V6 will beat the 1.8t, but a few mods will get your 1.8t walking all over the V6. For the money you can get more power from the 1.8t then the V6. For example, a chip will add roughly 40HP to a 1.8t. For the same $500 there is nothing that you can buy that will give you the same gains on a V6. I am making about 200-210WHP from my 1.8t.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
therockshow182 said:
I have a 2001.5 1.8T it's awesome and more zippy than the V6. Plus u can chip it :lol:
Zippy is pretty accurate. I was driving a GLS for a few days and found that acceleration off the line was quicker. But the V6 pulls longer and harder, so in the end I agree that stock engines the V6 will still win.

If chipping isn't for you (warantee worries?) then go V6. Also note that the GLX was rated top family sedan by Consumer Reports this month. Of course, the GLS was #4 and was only rated poorly due to the coil pack issues.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Simple math. Same horsepower (Chipped) + more torque (Chipped) + less weight = faster than the V6

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
19 Participants
JEM
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing