Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, with the Dual Din dash, like this:



I have a Motorized In Dash monitor, that I want to install on the upper din, and relocate my factory radio to the lower din. I was able to do this. However, there was just one problem. The in-dash monitor is not flush with the rest of the din console. It sticks out a good inch or inch and a half, and it really messes up the look of the radio console. I went through the trouble of finding an in-dash monitor that doesnt clash in looks with the rest of the console. It pretty much blends in as if it is stock, and doesnt attract much attention when it is closed. However, since it isnt flush, and is a deep unit, it overhangs the front console. It seems like the rear upper portion of the din console frame, (the circular part with the hole in it for the din pocket/radio to snap into) is blocking it. I would like to remove/dremel that piece out, as it would probably allow me to push the unit back another inch-inch and a half. Would modifying it cause any problems? Also, can I just buy that frame, do the modification/cutting on it, and re-install it? If so, how difficult is it to remove and reinstall the din frame? I assume it is just one frame that holds both pockets? I will post some pics when I get home, just to give an idea how it currently looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
If you push the unit farther back, how are you going to secure it? It sits out that far because that's how the manufacturer designed the unit to sit in the sleeve. If your screen has removable clips on the side you can take the screws out, redrill the holes closer to the front, screw them back on and you're good to go...assuming the metal shavings don't mess anything up.
Basically it's not an easy thing to do.
PapaPrem said:
I have a 2000 VW Passat 1.8T, with the Dual Din dash, like this:



I have a Motorized In Dash monitor, that I want to install on the upper din, and relocate my factory radio to the lower din. I was able to do this. However, there was just one problem. The in-dash monitor is not flush with the rest of the din console. It sticks out a good inch or inch and a half, and it really messes up the look of the radio console. I went through the trouble of finding an in-dash monitor that doesnt clash in looks with the rest of the console. It pretty much blends in as if it is stock, and doesnt attract much attention when it is closed. However, since it isnt flush, and is a deep unit, it overhangs the front console. It seems like the rear upper portion of the din console frame, (the circular part with the hole in it for the din pocket/radio to snap into) is blocking it. I would like to remove/dremel that piece out, as it would probably allow me to push the unit back another inch-inch and a half. Would modifying it cause any problems? Also, can I just buy that frame, do the modification/cutting on it, and re-install it? If so, how difficult is it to remove and reinstall the din frame? I assume it is just one frame that holds both pockets? I will post some pics when I get home, just to give an idea how it currently looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
quality_sound said:
If you push the unit farther back, how are you going to secure it? It sits out that far because that's how the manufacturer designed the unit to sit in the sleeve. If your screen has removable clips on the side you can take the screws out, redrill the holes closer to the front, screw them back on and you're good to go...assuming the metal shavings don't mess anything up.
Basically it's not an easy thing to do.

The monitor does have removable clips on the side. I plan to take the screws out and move them up closer to the front. Luckily, there are holes already there, so I would just need to use some wider sheet metal screws to fasten the clips. Even still, the monitor will still stick out of the pocket. Eliminating that upper section of the rear din frame would definitely give that extra clearance so that the monitor sits flush:



I'll post a few pics of my install in a lil bit...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
56K Warning! Pics of my attempt at a somewhat stock looking monitor

Here are several pics of how the monitor looks installed. Sorry for the quality of some of the pics. I couldn't edit my original title to put a 56K Warning. It's probably difficult to tell what I'm fussing about, through the pictures. However, I think the last pic gives a better idea of how the monitor sticks out and doesn't sit flush with the rest of the dash console.



























 

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
Joined
·
9,784 Posts
I'd guess at there being some wires in the way. Have you measured the depth of the hole vs the depth of the unit to prove the plastic ridge is in the way?

Remove the lower of the two HUs and mount the IDM first, that way you can pull whatever is in the way, out of the way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MrKeeeler said:
Have u looked to see if the monitor will even be able to open if it was pushed in?
Yes, the monitor will be able to open.


mycarsavw said:
I'd guess at there being some wires in the way. Have you measured the depth of the hole vs the depth of the unit to prove the plastic ridge is in the way?

Remove the lower of the two HUs and mount the IDM first, that way you can pull whatever is in the way, out of the way.
Yes, I measured everything. Its clear that it is the plastic ridge that is in the way. Its also not the wiring getting in the way. Its definitely the small plastic piece that the nub on the back of the radio, snaps into. Im assuming that piece is connected to the rest of the frame? If so, does anyone have the Part Number for the Dual Single Din frame for the 2000 Passat? Is it difficult to remove the frame and put it back in? I'm just kind of afraid of having to mess around with the HVAC controls.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,662 Posts
i just did this a few days/ weeks ago,that cage does come out and i cut the back piece out of it to allow my dvd player to get into the dash,however if i had it flush it would not open all the way,are you aure that yours will be? when its open do you have .5-1 inches behind the screen? i know i dont. good luck either way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,182 Posts
you can TRY cutting out that support in the back but that's not what I'm seeing is the problem. It looks like the molded part of the nose is what's sticking out and you can't change that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guy022077 said:
i just did this a few days/ weeks ago,that cage does come out and i cut the back piece out of it to allow my dvd player to get into the dash,however if i had it flush it would not open all the way,are you aure that yours will be? when its open do you have .5-1 inches behind the screen? i know i dont. good luck either way.
I can't be sure 100%. I just got to try and find out. I might not be able to get it to be totally flush, but I would like to push it in as far as possible without interfering with the screen being able to protract out. You stated that if you had it flush, it would not open all the way. What exactly did you do then?

Also, do you or anyone else happen to have a part number for the Dual Single Din frame/cage? Also, how difficult is it to remove the frame/cage? Would I need to remove the HVAC controls in order to take it out, or do I just need to take out the radio and cubby?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,662 Posts
I TOOK out everything because it seemed easier, and mine is not flush at all it sticks out just like yours. If i had it flush when the screen comes out and flips up it would not make it to the 90% because it only comes out about and inch before it flips up. Thats not enough to make it flush in the dash...do you follow what im saying?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top