Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K.
Finally I decided to go with Yellow Konis and 1BE springs.
Now I need a piece of advice. Should I and how much stiff up front and rear?Car is as some of you know-B5 Variant,4Mo,Tip,V6.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have my koni's set to 50% all the way around and its WAY too hard. I think they are good shocks, not bouncy or anything, but if I ever take the suspension back apart I'm going to adjust them to be softer.

I'd recommend something closer to 25% all around, or something closer to that. You could even try going full soft, depending on what kind of ride you want.

I've got a 5-speed v-6 sedan.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Koni Adjustment.....

Hey Nenad,

I have my Front Konis adjusted ONE turn from the full soft setting and the Rears also at ONE turn from the soft setting. I find the setting perfect for me and the car fell quite planted with my two kids in theback seat.

I was quite surprised how smooth the car runs on good road surfaces but also feels good on rough road surfaces. Your tire pressures and tire sizes (45 or 55 profile etc) also will have an effect on your ride quality.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for inputs, hope that someone else will also contribute.
Up to that time, how many full turns we can do on them?
I have Konis now but they are 3 years old and at the time I bought them I was explaind that those turns are for recovering initial performance(so,I am no soft), that is why Koni is saying that yellows are "lifetime" shocks.
As long as I decided to go with 1BE springs I want brand new shocks that I can set like I want.
Thanks again :thumbup: :bow:

·
Registered
26,978 Posts
I think the fronts were 5 half turns and the rear were 3 half turns. With the 4MO, for an aggressive ride,go 1.5 turns front,1 back.
A little softer at 1 turn front 1/2 rear is a nice compromise for the bad roads you
will face.

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Nenad,

I installed my fronts with H&R OE sports this weekend, but not the rears.

My fronts were set at 1.25 turns from full soft. The ride is firm. On bad roads with a lot of potholes or bumpy spots it may be a little too rough. If I had to do it again I'd probably go 3/4 to 1 turn from soft. I think there is around 3 full turns from soft to hard; I counted it but now I can't remember.

·
Registered
199 Posts
PZ said:
I think the fronts were 5 half turns and the rear were 3 half turns. With the 4MO, for an aggressive ride,go 1.5 turns front,1 back.
A little softer at 1 turn front 1/2 rear is a nice compromise for the bad roads you
will face.
Good advice. I can't remember the number of turns from full soft to full hard (haha), either, but once you check that out I'd go with the % recommended above.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put a set of Konis on 3 weeks ago and adjusted both the fronts and the rears 1/2 turn which gave the fronts 33% and the rears 20% from soft. This is a very nice setting, firm but not harsh.

Remember that you are only adjusting the rebound and if you go to firm you might experience "pump down" which is a condition that compresses the suspension during spirited driving or if you encounter wash board conditions. You can see this occur during MotoX racing when they exit the washboards. I know that this is very subjective but I wouldn't recommend going with a much firmer setting unless you drive on pristine smooth roads.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all of you. I bought them today and 1BE will arrive in 2 weeks from now.I'll post details.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts