Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Passat into the dealer for a regular service. During this service, they also replaced my rear brake pads and rotors. The mechanic working on my car forgot to tighten the bolts on my rear left wheel. I drove to my parents house (300+ miles away) for Thanksgiving and noticed in the driveway when I got there that 2 bolts were completely missing and another 2 were loose. I could unscrew them with my fingers!

I went to a local dealership in my parents' town and out of sympathy, they gave me some bolts for free to get me back on the road safely. I called the dealership that forgot to tighten my bolts and they were apologetic and offered to reimburse me for any expenses I would have to incur. I am going to see this dealership next week when I am back in town.

I understand that people make mistakes, but this was a serious mistake that could have cost me my life. Is there some entity I can report this dealership's negligence to? What should I demand from the dealer when I see them next week? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,200 Posts
Thank heaven there were no mishaps!!!! Extremely glad that you discovered this the easy way. :whew!:

Well, there probably isn't much you can do about it other than avoid them like the plague, unless they want to buy you a new set of wheels and an alignment. :curls mustache: :lol: Just a thought.

Kenny

·
Registered
264 Posts
I had a wheel fly off a car when the Audi dealership did the same thing. Unfortunately, nothing could be done since there were no injuries.

·
Registered
6,269 Posts
Nothing could be done? Nothing needed repair? NOTHING?!?!

At the LEAST they should've paid for the damage that was caused and a new wheel if needed.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
*ring ring*
A: Allo? Dealership X.
B: You dumb craps didn't tighten my wheel on.
A: Was anyone hurt?
B: Yeah, i was killed!
A: Then how are you talking to me?
B: Well, It got better.
/Props to python

LMAO, I must be tired.

Couple oil changes would be good compensation considering you trust them with you life, they charge two arms and three legs for every thing.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Make sure those oil changes are 502.00 compliant! A couple of oil changes does sound appropriate

One of those runaway wheels flew off a tractor trailer and crashed through the glass door of a friend's apartment a few years back. Really woke him out of a dead sleep.

I had the spare bounce out from underneath my Exploder once. The cable was weakened by rust and snapped when I went over a bump. That was one of the things that led to me buying the Passat.

Scary situations. I'm glad noone was hurt in any of those incidents.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,285 Posts
I better go check the Audi right now.....:nervous:

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
That guy should be fired ASAP. What he did was inexcusable. Ask the dealer for all of your money back.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Make sure those oil changes are 502.00 compliant! A couple of oil changes does sound appropriate

One of those runaway wheels flew off a tractor trailer and crashed through the glass door of a friend's apartment a few years back. Really woke him out of a dead sleep.

I had the spare bounce out from underneath my Exploder once. The cable was weakened by rust and snapped when I went over a bump. That was one of the things that led to me buying the Passat.

Scary situations. I'm glad noone was hurt in any of those incidents.
My uncle was killed by one and his son very badly injured.
I cauht my wheel shop tightening to 80 ft/lbs
Probably wouldn't have caused any real issues, but I still made em torque it down by the book.
In this case it sounds like someone forgot to torque the wheels down. Very dangerious.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies. I have since spoken to the service manager at this dealership and after asking for a credit or discount off my next service, he offered me a free oil change. I have also reported this negligence to VW of America (although I am not sure what that will really do).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts