Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the subject says, I need someone in the DC Metro Area that wont break my bank account. I scheduled an appt for a plce called Goss Garage (anybody know about them? They are charging $136), but I am not sure I can meet the appt they gave me. I want to have this done next week Friday (11th) on my day off. Anyplace, but the dealer in College Park, MD.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
$136 for all 4 doesn't sound too bad. Just make sure they apply some anti-squeal compound at the back of the pads & re-lub the pins with hi-temp grease.

Also, ask them to rotate the tires while they are at it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
GoldenPassat said:
Like the subject says, I need someone in the DC Metro Area that wont break my bank account. I scheduled an appt for a plce called Goss Garage (anybody know about them? They are charging $136), but I am not sure I can meet the appt they gave me. I want to have this done next week Friday (11th) on my day off. Anyplace, but the dealer in College Park, MD.
The owner of Goss' Garage is Pat Goss. He does the Motorweek tv show on Maryland Public Television each week. I think you probably made a good choice there if you decide to use a shop. He's pretty well known in the automotive community. You're talking about the shop in Seabrook -right??

Good luck,
Mike

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
vuvision said:
$136 for all 4 doesn't sound too bad. Just make sure they apply some anti-squeal compound at the back of the pads & re-lub the pins with hi-temp grease.

Also, ask them to rotate the tires while they are at it.
Actually thats only for the front 2 wheels.

The owner of Goss' Garage is Pat Goss. He does the Motorweek tv show on Maryland Public Television each week. I think you probably made a good choice there if you decide to use a shop. He's pretty well known in the automotive community. You're talking about the shop in Seabrook -right??
Yes I think that is where it is! I did not know he was sort of a celebrity!! :D

Rotors and Pads are really easy to replace, you should just DIY and save the $136 for some other mod
I wish I could do that cause I can think of a few things that loot can help me purchase....golf clubs....W8 console etc. But brakes are a delicate thing...need someone who knows what the heck they are doing. Don't wanna sacrafice safety for some $$$.

Anybody know of anyplace else???

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
GoldenPassat said:
Don't wanna sacrafice safety for some $$$.
True, but this is not one of those instances where spending money would guarantee a safer car.

The pics weren't working as of 3:45 PM EDT, but here's the link on how to do your rotors and pads.

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34022

I routinely change pads all the time, swapping out street pads for track pads when I go to various road courses -- it really is a piece of cake, I've gotten it down to the point where (if I'm in a hurry) I can change the front pads on both sides in 30 minutes.

Andy

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I wish I could do that cause I can think of a few things that loot can help me purchase....golf clubs....W8 console etc. But brakes are a delicate thing...need someone who knows what the heck they are doing. Don't wanna sacrafice safety for some $$$.

Anybody know of anyplace else???

That's funny...I've done all mine myself for years because I only trust me with my brakes! It's actually very easy...fronts are a cinch. Rears a little more work, go to Autozone and borrow there cool brake tool set...you have to rotate the piston while squeezing it in....almost impossible with out the tool. Rotors are simple too....just need to have some high quality bearing grease around.....

Another good idea for a service manual......

Don't sell yourself short....it's not hard...once you've done one the reat are much quicker.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
HermanH said:
heheh, got you beat by 15 min. :) :) :)
Yea, but all the fittings are the correct gender when he's done..... :poke: :) :)

My fiancee and I swapped my rotors out when I got my Brembo Cross Drilled set.... she did the driver's side, I did the passenger. Took us maybe an hour total.

On the other hand, I have a full set of tools. If you don't have the right tools for the job (set of sockets, rubber mallet, duck, and a breaker bar) don't try it and pay to have someone do it. I agree with you, brakes are not to be messed with if you're even the smallest bit unsure.

Another option, maybe there's a member near you who can come over and help you do it. I knew Z28Driver had my back when I was doing mine, just in case I ran into trouble.

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
Gurft said:
HermanH said:
Yea, but all the fittings are the correct gender when he's done..... :poke: :) :)
Ok, got me there. But he was referring to just pads and rotors for a stock setup. And normally, you don't need to 'remove' the lines for this kind of work so you don't "do a Herman" on the brake lines! :(

Hey, the DOT approved ones work fine. :)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
HermanH said:
that is fast, but you probably hear that alot :poke:

It takes me an 1hr for that job because of where tools are stored n relation to where I can work on the car 75 ft walk.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.