Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
need to purchase a USED vehicle for the wife, looking at wagons primarily but still dreaming about the touareg. Reason being AWD, cargo space, safety - have a 2 yr old and probably another one on the way very soon.

Anyone have good reviews, comparos or experience with these vehicles? Heres what I've narrowed to:
  • Subaru Outback XT
  • Legacy GT Wagon
  • Audi Allroad
  • Audi A4 Wagon
  • Volvo v70 xc
  • Touareg
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • OTHER?
Looking for best utility vs cost of ownership in these USED vehicles. I also considered a Passat wagon but dont want 2 passats. I love my GLX but want some variety. My gut says Subaru. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I love my Honda Pilot. (Flame Suit ON!!)

Its not sexy, but you said "Looking for best utility vs cost of ownership in these USED vehicles."

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
unless your wife has a little mario andretti in her, a flat 6 or NA 4 cylinder legacy or outback should be just fine as a grocery getter. unless, of course, you plan on trading cars every now and then, in which case the LGT/OXT are great. i was actually seriously considering those before i got the passat, but used ones are pretty scarce in my area.

also, the pilot is an excellent choice if utility and cost of ownership are criteria. third row could be useful and the cargo area is easily bigger than those on the passat/subaru.

the A4 avant is small. you'd want to look replace that with an A6 avant, imo.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
What's your price range?

Without knowing more I'd go the Audi route (actually, I did). However, I'd bump up to an A6. As was mentioned, the A4 is a bit small. The Allroad is sweet but beware the 2.7T.

The latest Legacy 2.5 GT is nice too.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
need to purchase a USED vehicle for the wife, looking at wagons primarily but still dreaming about the touareg. Reason being AWD, cargo space, safety - have a 2 yr old and probably another one on the way very soon.

Anyone have good reviews, comparos or experience with these vehicles? Heres what I've narrowed to:
  • Subaru Outback XT
  • Legacy GT Wagon
  • Audi Allroad
  • Audi A4 Wagon
  • Volvo v70 xc
  • Touareg
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee
  • OTHER?
Looking for best utility vs cost of ownership in these USED vehicles. I also considered a Passat wagon but dont want 2 passats. I love my GLX but want some variety. My gut says Subaru. Any advice appreciated.
what is it so safe about touareg? :poke: awd? most of those cars that you mentioned do come in awd and you cant beat a wagon with cargo space unless you get some generic america gas guzzler suv. but honestly i would go with a4, keep it in the family. i think with a4 you get better bang for the buck than you would with scuby. you can get both luxury and safety, that you cant really get with subaru, but i guess thats my 2cents. also try to search other forums that are not related to VAG.... good luck with whatever you decide to get

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Going out on a limb here.....

A Magnum SXT or R/T AWD? The R/T will yield the same mileage as the SXT while allowing some ""fun".
They are very well built (if the interior is a bit plasticky) and drive much samller than they are.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Here's mine:

Mine is a 2005 XT LTD MT that I bought new this year, it was left over on the lot from last year and I got very nice deal on it. So far so good with it in the 10-11k miles I've driven it. I thought about going the Audi route and I was a hair away from buying a BMW 330xi awd wagon 5-speed but in the end I just liked this one better. I was initially turned off by the ride height but after owning the car for 9 months I'm happier than hell with the height, this from a guy that had a lowered 2003 Passat. One thing I wanted to add about ride height is that it's nice to not have to bend over so far to put a child in and take a child out of the car seat. And here in Indiana a child has to ride in a seat for 8-10 years I think.

Good: Plenty of power, plenty of hauling capacity, I like the ride height, installed short throw shifter is very nice and precise, I get pretty good mileage (25mpg mostly highway), I really like the interior quite a bit, sunroof is gigantic, awd is excellent in thick snow, COBB access port can add 50 hp for a reasonable price, service is much more reasonable, I do my own oil changes now and it takes me 20 minutes.

Bad: You get crappy mileage if you don't stay off the throttle,
it's hard to stay off the throttle, the paint isn't as durable or as good as VW's paint, I really miss the blue tint aspherical mirrors, I miss the phatbox like mad, short back seat depth.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Legacy wagon is my choice.

But don't overlook some of the proper minivans out there. A Town&Country Limited isn't a bad choice with a big family on the way.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Legacy wagon is my choice.

But don't overlook some of the proper minivans out there. A Town&Country Limited isn't a bad choice with a big family on the way.
But 2 kids isn't a "big" family, a wagon would suit a family of four just fine I'm thinking. I can't imagine getting stuck driving a T&C everyday, I mean not for a "car guy/enthuasist/person" you know? I mean unless the guy's wife is willing to drive that thing, I wouldn't want to.

We have one here at work that I use for remote locations and buying IT gear and the like. I think it's a 2003 or 2004 all loaded up and while it's not the worst vehicle in the world or anything, I just can't imagine having to drive it everyday. Oh and that thing eats brake pads like they're going out of style.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
RS6 Avant?
What?
I'd go with a Legacy, as long as you can get over the dash stroker aspect. The forester is another good car and can have quite a bit of grunt
Of course, little is going to compare in "feel" with a VAG car.
Volvo's are great cars too. Whatv about just the bo9g standard V70 AWD? Yeaqh, a bit long in the tooth, but that helps depecation and its a very nice car.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Dodge Magnum SRT8 - 425 hp (much less cargo space than you think, though)
It is? Really? I can get as much in my Magnum SRT as most other mid-large size wagons - except my now-sold Volvo 760.

The SRT is not, by any means, a 4 seasons car, though. An R/T AWD, on the other hand....

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
RS6 Avant?
What?
I'd go with a Legacy, as long as you can get over the dash stroker aspect.
The Legacy GT and Outback XT actually have a pretty nice dash to stroke if you ask me. . . but I'm a little bias I guess. :)

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,698 Posts
If you want used try a Taurus wagon. They are huge, safe, and if you are not going to put a lot of miles on it you will be fine. I'm sure you can find a very low mileage one for under $10K.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If you want used try a Taurus wagon. They are huge, safe, and if you are not going to put a lot of miles on it you will be fine. I'm sure you can find a very low mileage one for under $10K.
They stopped selling Taurus wagons in 2001, the 4th generation never came in a wagon in this market. With the age one of these would be you will be able to find them under $3000 everywhere. A newer option like this would be a Malibu Maxx.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts