Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
You can get factory gray market one from Europe. People here have installed them in their Passats.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
uhm...yeah, it's a Euro only option. I got mine from Germany, so I'm not sure what your question is. :???:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Re: Are they DVD or Satellite Nav?

woodster76 said:
jwil said:
BOOYA!

There's an OEM unit for sale in classifieds right now...
Hey Jwil

How much for the Nav? I am in Europe right now, but they only offer them for the European models.

Wood
Jwil

I realize you can only get them in Europe, I also purchased my car in Germany and am still here. But what I was saying is that they never gave me that option. They said it could only be put in European spec models. I have a US model purchased in Germany??????????????? :crazy:

·
Registered
297 Posts
It can be fitted in any Passat... Maps are the only thing you gotta work out...And I 'm sure that one of the guys in the US can hook you up with the map (If you need a US map that is...) Apparently the Mercedes Navtech Maps work just fine...

Cheers
Ram

·
Registered
254 Posts
Any idea how much all the required parts will cost? How about a non-wood bezel?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
VaRiX said:
If you are referring to the OEM Nav then it should run you between $1200 for used and $2700 for new with all the parts including antenna. The wood bezel is not part of the Navi.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
Touareg maps DO NOT WORK! This has been tested many, many times and they use a different database that is NOT compatible with the older MFDs.

Mercedes Benz map disks will work, but need modification. There is information HERE about creating disks.

As iconx mentioned, the MFD can be installed in any Passat, the connection are the same, it's just navi disks you have to sort out. European disks are easily available on Ebay for less than $100 per country as well. I have a complete installation writeup on my website: http://www.t-region.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26 (free registration required)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I didn't like the VW NAV system at all. If you are considering a stereo replacement, take a look at the Pioneer AVIC-N1 which sells for about $1100.00US. It plays DVD's, MP3 CD's, and is a full NAV System as well.

Goodbye Monsoon...
:thumbup:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
RL331 said:
VaRiX said:
If you are referring to the OEM Nav then it should run you between $1200 for used and $2700 for new with all the parts including antenna. The wood bezel is not part of the Navi.
mine was pretty cheap. the garmin unit was $600 or so. the built bezel was about $100 (mostly labor).

plus, mine has voice prompting (cuts into the sound system and them when the 'lady' is done, the music resumes).

but you have to agree to ditch the factory audio system entirely to go my route.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
linux-works said:
mine was pretty cheap. the garmin unit was $600 or so. the built bezel was about $100 (mostly labor).

plus, mine has voice prompting (cuts into the sound system and them when the 'lady' is done, the music resumes).

but you have to agree to ditch the factory audio system entirely to go my route.
Bryan - are you wearing shorts, and sandals over white socks in that pic?! :wink:

/karl

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
SpecialKDog1 said:
linux-works said:

Bryan - are you wearing shorts, and sandals over white socks in that pic?! :wink:

/karl
doh! guess I need to pay homage again to the photoshop god. its been a while since I've appeased him.. ;)

·
Registered
74 Posts

The GPS part is not functional yet but it will be soon. I owe some people a writeup that I just have to take time to do.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
The Swami said:
I didn't like the VW NAV system at all. If you are considering a stereo replacement, take a look at the Pioneer AVIC-N1 which sells for about $1100.00US. It plays DVD's, MP3 CD's, and is a full NAV System as well.
Is it available yet? Also I thought it was going to come n closer to $2k.

It is a really nice unit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
About this Discussion
26 Replies
15 Participants
jwilker
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing