Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
They have a great deal where u buy 5 quarts of synthetic oil (napa brand), and the gold filter and you get 5$ off MIR. :thumbup:

I know some ppl here are ganna have all out crazy if they hear B5.5's taking non-mobil 1, amzoil or what ever matches those specs.

I think that if my 92 corolla was able to take regular oil and last for 350K, a v6 30v VW better last half of that with the same oil or better, or I'll be the pissed guy on the block.
Best of luck,
:wrench:
GP

·
Registered
223 Posts
They have a great deal where u buy 5 quarts of synthetic oil (napa brand), and the gold filter and you get 5$ off MIR. :thumbup:

I know some ppl here are ganna have all out crazy if they hear B5.5's taking non-mobil 1, amzoil or what ever matches those specs.

I think that if my 92 corolla was able to take regular oil and last for 350K, a v6 30v VW better last half of that with the same oil or better, or I'll be the pissed guy on the block.
Best of luck,
GP
Thanks for that! I need to buy a couple of Big Kahuna filters from NAPA with that deal. Hopefully they don't consider these to be "heavy duty" filters because the ad says that those don't qualify.

I'm not sure what oil the V6 uses. I always used Mobil 1 in my V6 Audi, but modern cars can be very specific on what oil they use. If you're not using what's specified, then you can possibly have a problem. The fact that your Toyota ran a long time on the brand you were using doesn't mean that your Passat, or a newer Toyota for that matter, will run a long time on that same brand.

Older cars tended to be more forgiving on oil. I've known two people with old Saab turbos that used regular old Castrol GTX (the stuff you see in one gallon containers for $10) and put over 550k on their engines. Same with the old VW 2.0. It doesn't much care what you put in it. Maybe that's because those old VW EA827 engines came out in 1974 when oils were pretty crude (no pun intended) compared to what they are today.

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,880 Posts

Best of luck,
GP
I don't know if you will be the pissed off guy on the block right now, but I am more than willing to bet you will be when you find out what happened to your engine by using NAPA oil...

:p :lol:

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Lingyu, er, I'm using mostly Castrol GTX in my newer Toyota. Would go back to using it in my Passat as well, if I was willing to shorten the change intervals...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Will the NAPA Gold "Big Kahuna" 1333 filter fit the V6 ATQ engine?

I compared the gasket specs on the 1333 "Big Kahuna" filter to the 1355 filter that NAPA specs for the ATQ engine. These are the results:

FIL #1333
Gasket ID - 62.54 mm
Gasket OD - 71.98 mm
Filter Height - 177.34 mm
Filter OD - 93.22 mm
Flow Rate (@19 micron) - 7-9 GPM
Thread Size - 3/4 -16

FIL #1355
Gasket ID - 62.36 mm
Gasket OD - 69.98 mm
Filter Height - 113.67 mm
Filter OD - 95.12 mm
Flow Rate (@24 micron) - 7-9 GPM
Thread Size - 3/4 - 16

It appears that the difference in the gasket ID/OD measurements may cause the 1333 Big Kahuna to leak when installed on the V6 ATQ engine?

I experienced a similar problem when Amsoil first introduced their AO42 filter for the V6 ATQ engine. The gasket design dimensions were incorrect for the application and the filter leaked.

The current Amsoil filter application for the V6 ATQ engine is EAO45 and provides filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 98.7 percent at 15 microns and a flow rate of 10-12 GPM.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i wouldn't worry too much on the v6, it's a bigger deal on the 1.8t due to the small sump and turbo, which can lead to sludge.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Doing the math...

The NAPA Gold Big Kahuna #1333 filter provides ~35% additional filter area over the NAPA GOLD #1355 that NAPA specs to the V6 ATQ engine.

If I could add 35% more filter area by using the Big Khauna 1333 filter on the V6 ATQ engine - and have confidence that the filter won't leak - I would definitely do it.

Has anybody tried fitting the Big Kahuna 1333 filter the V6 ATQ engine?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know if you will be the pissed off guy on the block right now, but I am more than willing to bet you will be when you find out what happened to your engine by using NAPA oil...

:p :lol:
Maybe you are right. Well have to wait and see. Maybe I'll start a NAPA oil thread and give updates every oil change.

GP :driving:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Lingyu, er, I'm using mostly Castrol GTX in my newer Toyota. Would go back to using it in my Passat as well, if I was willing to shorten the change intervals...
Now that Castrol GTX comes in 5W20 flavor you should be able to use it in your newer Toyota. I'm assuming it's an ILSAC GF-4 oil. Now if that Toyota has a turbo strapped on it I doubt that I'd use that oil.

Likewise, with the Passat it probably doesn't matter how often you change the Castrol GTX because if it won't withstand the temperature of the turbo then you risk damage. I know there are some people on PW who use conventional oils with good results. However, I own 4 cars right now with turbos, 2 of them VWs, and my friend who is a lubrication engineer doesn't recommend non-synthetics for them, nor does VW, so why risk it? What's the point? :hmmm:

·
Registered
223 Posts
The 1333 didn't come up for the Passat on their website.
Look under 1995 Eurovan 5 cylinder. It used the Big Kahuna filter. This filter was never specified by VW for the 1.8T so you won't find it in the applications list for the Passat.

I think that some folks have noted a minor difference in the bypass valve pressure or pressure drop or something between this and the original filter (superseded by the larger, but not Big Kahuna sized, filter per VW TSB), but others believe that this difference is negligible and the fact that the Big Kahuna allows the most oil capacity makes up for this fact.

I generally stick with VW recommendations, but when it comes to sludge and my 1.8T I figure that this filter is a good idea, along with top quality oils already recomended by VW.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Now that Castrol GTX comes in 5W20 flavor you should be able to use it in your newer Toyota. I'm assuming it's an ILSAC GF-4 oil. Now if that Toyota has a turbo strapped on it I doubt that I'd use that oil.

Likewise, with the Passat it probably doesn't matter how often you change the Castrol GTX because if it won't withstand the temperature of the turbo then you risk damage. I know there are some people on PW who use conventional oils with good results. However, I own 4 cars right now with turbos, 2 of them VWs, and my friend who is a lubrication engineer doesn't recommend non-synthetics for them, nor does VW, so why risk it? What's the point? :hmmm:
LOL........... you should do some research on how good the current dino oils are these days. I could assure you GTX in 10w30 or 5w30 will handle just fine even in turbo.

You just need to change it more often. You just can't use it at the same interval as the synthetic but it'll be just fine.

But I've ran rotella dino 15w40 up to 4-5k miles many times in my ride and others with no problems so I wouldn't going around saying dino can't handle turbos

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The 1333 didn't come up for the Passat on their website.

yes, this part # is not OEM spec'd for the Passat. as i stated in the OP, this is the oversized filter that will fit in the 1.8t.

the 1333 is oem spec'd for the following applications:

Applications for part 1333

Make Model Engine
PORSCHE 911 SERIES H6 2.2L 2195cc
PORSCHE 911 SERIES L6 (ALL)
VOLVO 740 SERIES L6 2.4L Diesel
VOLVO 760 SERIES L6 2.4L Diesel

Part Number: 1333
UPC Number: 765809138100
Principal Application: Volvo 760 GLE w/2.4L Turbo Diesel Engine (83-87)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 6.982
Outer Diameter Top: 3.670
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 30
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 300