Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2001 Passat, 1.8T AWM. B5.5

Coolant is leaking from the pipe next to the thermostat housing. I found a similar thread the AudiForums, but in that thread, no one could name what exactly the pipe is. I have gone through my Haynes manual as well, and I can't find an exact match. It looks like I may just need a new grommet. (EDIT: The grommet is split in two.) The pipe itself is aluminum.

There are no screws or fasteners on this line, just a rubber grommet. My pipe sticks out about the same as the pipe in the photo. I can wedge a prybar down between the manifold and leverage the pipe back into place, but it seeps water. I wanted a second opinion before I started removing everything to get better access to it.

My thermostat is busted open, but the t-housing isn't leaking. I blew a coolant line during the winter storm the past week, and I had to refill with water on the fly and the car sat in subzero temps for a few hours, ice formed around the t-housing, and ice is what pushed this out. I made it home, thank goodness, but the damage was done. I'm fortunate I haven't found anymore damage, but I digress.

Here is the photo from that thread. Mine is the same. Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I believe you need item 10, VAG Part N 903 653 02 in the Etka illustration below, presuming the leak is coming from item 9, 06B 121 065 AC, the coolant return pipe. I infer that item 10 is a 20x3mm "round seal", but it's not apparent exactly what it looks like. (click to enlarge the illustrations)

FYI, item 2 is the thermostat (which refers you to page 121-10).

You can search for the part numbers on ECS Tuning, for the pipe at least, for good pictures.

·
Registered
27,867 Posts
I name it Bob. I can't believe no one else named it :)

Yes, the 20x3 O-ring is what it needed. It's held in place by bolt #11 listed above. I expect it's far easier to remove the pipe and change the O-ring with the manifold out of the way. It's also a great time to overhaul the PCV, so I would add the intake manifold gasket and PCV to your parts list.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I replaced mine with Dorman 902-991 which came with the o-ring. It was $10 at Autozone. I left a review of the installation hiccups I encountered. You can't beat $10 with the o-ring. "Bob" was a bit of a PITA to replace but I did it without removing the manifold which made it harder so that may be why.

·
Registered
27,867 Posts
That's for the thermostat housing, not the metal pipe that going into the back of the water pump from the heater core.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts