Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just heard from two reliable sources that newer North American versions or Castrol, Valvoline, and Mobil-1 oils may lose Mercedes Benz and VW/Audi certification due to their new formulation. Once current dealership stock of spec oil is exhausted, many will be switching to different brands.

I know that my local MB dealership has already switched to Motul Oil for the forced induction AMG's and Diesels. Quite a few VW and Audi dealerships are already starting to stock Elf Excellium DID, LDX, and Evolution oils which covers the entire manufacturer spec. i.e. 500.xx to 506.xx We need to keep our eyes on this one!

Has anyone else heard about this?

Peace and blessings,

Will aka The Swami

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
If it's posted anywhere, it'll be on BITOG. Have you checked there, or is that one of your reliable sources?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
What the fuck!? It's already hard enough to hunt down M1 0W-40 in my area! Now I'm going to have to start using oils I've never even heard of before!?

:banghead:

Time to trade in the Passat for a Camry. Wait...

:puke:

Sigh, guess I'll have to start hunting down more exotics and spending more money for this car.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
"German" Castrol 0W-30 is pretty easy to find around here.
i have yet to see it on my shelves anywhere around me. :(

time for online purchasing i suppose (not that i can find it)

·
Registered
127 Posts
One of the few upsides of being out of warranty is not giving a $#!+ about using VW certified fluids. Ironically, anyone that would worry about this wouldn't be the same person that would have an engine or turbo failure due to using JiiffyLube or non-detergent oil from the car aisle at the grocery store.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's posted anywhere, it'll be on BITOG. Have you checked there, or is that one of your reliable sources?
Sorry Altair I didn't check BobIsTheOilGuy's site because I feel his testing process is slightly flawed. I did however speak with a reliable Audi Service Advisor and a Master Mercedes Benz technician about the issue. I didn't want to fuel another huge debate but for those who want to stay within the specification it's pretty interesting news.

Thank goodness I've been running Pentosynth on the W8 for 2 years and will run it on the 3.6 4Motion.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
Any more info on the prospect of not being able to readily buy VW Spec oil?

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
I plan to keep using Mobil 1 0W-40, or, in fact, ANY reputable 0W-40 or 5W-40 synthetic oil. The infamous "sludge" [sic] / coke problem arose solely because most owners and VW and Audi dealerships used dino oil in the 1.8T and left it in there for 5k mi / 8k km OCIs, even under typical stop-and-go short-trip "severe service" city conditions. Use a good synthetic and a big oil filter, change them often, and don't get unnecessarily paranoid.

If you want to push your OCIs, then by all means seek out some exotic German motor oil.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
W8bahnburner, it sure was!! As a matter of fact, I also spoke to an Audi Master Technician locally who was working on my girl's A4 Cabrio's NAV wiring and radio. He stated that the dealership is switching to Elf oils once their stock of Castrol has depleted. They had an RS4 on the lift and they were using Elf Excellium in the crank.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,503 Posts
Any Autozone's near by??
That's the only place I know of that has it.
Only the larger AZOs carry a decent selection of motor oil. My local AZO "shack" has absolutely NO 502.00-certified oil of any kind on its shelves!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Does this mean I should be buying a different oil
I think unless VW sends out a new VW502 listing to customers, and the back of the bottle of what you buy ways it meets spec, you can still use those for your changes and be under the sludge warranty. I don't think VW can change it and not make an effort to notify you and then deny you at a later date.

Part of me thinks this is a VW plot to make sure people are changing oil at the dealership and stop us from doing it ourselves ;) I think a lot of people would be discouraged if they couldn't ever find the correct oil for their cars and just give up.

I may switch to Amsoil 5W40 European, but I need to do some research on that first. A lot my local VW peeps run that.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think regardless of what VW will do, you could still use these oils as long as the bottle says that the oil is VW certified (provided that you have a stock and receipts for that oil). They cannot revoke past certification and their approval to use these oils. Therefore, any certified oil purchased prior to their
new action should be good to use.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
This thread should be renamed "How A Major Auto Manufacturer Cleverly Avoids Sludge Claims."
North American Mobil 1 is not any good? Now I've heard everything.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
Part of me thinks this is a VW plot to make sure people are changing oil at the dealership and stop us from doing it ourselves ;) I think a lot of people would be discouraged if they couldn't ever find the correct oil for their cars and just give up.
How is this a VW ploy? 502.00 Spec hasn't changed. It's the oil manufacturers who supposedly won't supply an oil tht meets 502.00 (or whatever spec). The question is "Why?" Is there a new standard being rolled out, beyond the current API SM? Maybe the certification won't apply until the new formulations are tested. I think some of the Mobil 1 products termporarily lost their API certification due to formulation changes as their facilities were damaged by Katrina.

It's going to be interesting for VW dealers...I'm not expecting them to start carrying exotics. I won't be surprised if some of them are still using bulk 5w-30 dino juice for 1.8T oil changes....

A synthetic change at my dealer currently gets you Agip 5w-40 Synthetic in your sump (which does meet 502.00, per an email I got from Agip). I still bring along my own M1 in the 0w-40 flavor, though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts