Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a couple searches and followed a few links, and it sounds like putting an N75J on my stock AEB would give me a couple of pounds extra boost. It sounds like drive-ability might go down a bit. And I am guessing my car doens't have overboost limp mode since it doesn't measure boost. Am I reading this right? Anyone else with stock AEB and N75J to scare me off of this idea? I have no current plans (read money) to mod my engine. :cry: Thanks.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have an N75 race valve on my stock 99 AEB 5 spd 1.8t and i definetly felt a difference. not as much as a chip, but it gave me a few HP. I cant tell you how much more boost because I don't have a boost gauge.

They say thet the N75 valve will hold boost longer and give your about 2 more psi of boost.

regards

-Anthony

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it improve anything on the low end - like below 2400 rpm?

·
Registered
229 Posts
to be honest i dont remember...the day after i put in the n75 valve, i decided to put a cone filter in. so whatever i lost with the intake, i gained back with the n75.

however, i have since then changed back to the stock air box, and i still have the valve in. all in all i think i notice a difference...but who knows

-Anthony

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've got the N75J on my otherwise mostly stock '99 AEB. When I put it on, I saw a difference in spikes, from about 7.5psi to about 9.5psi, and felt some difference. I've never seen anything higher than 10psi, so overboost is definitely not an issue (overboost is generally somewhere around 22-24psi, depending on who you ask).

It improves the low end a little bit. You'll see the limit of 9psi or so in 3rd gear or higher around 2400rpm, so there's some change. But most of the change is around 3 grand or so, when the boost comes on strong. It will build to 9psi, hold for a bit, and then back down towards 5psi at redline (which is where the stock computer backs things off to as you approach redline).

All in all, I'd say it's worth the 60$ or so. It's a cheap, easy to perform mod that yeilds a little bit of power. No affect in driveability that I've ever noticed.

Go for it. :D

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You folks are awesome!!!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
campy- what were you boost measurement prior to the J valve? those sound like the same boost as i get completely stock minus K&N

ganseg- let us know how it goes

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should get my N75J on Monday...

Any more data from others with stock engine and N75J?

·
Registered
615 Posts
IDriveB5 said:
campy- what were you boost measurement prior to the J valve? those sound like the same boost as i get completely stock minus K&N

ganseg- let us know how it goes

IDriveB5, I spiked at 7.5psi and held about 5psi to redline. Now I spike at about 9.5psi, but I don't hold much higher to redline.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We only did 2nd gear pulls, but without the J I peaked at 8, with I peaked at 9. Peak only lasted an instant and the boost would pull way back stock, and somewhat back with the J. I was shocked how fast the car pulls back the boost!

I didn't feel a difference. My 0-60 didn't improve enough for me to see.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
ganseg
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing