Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rotated my tires yesterday and I noticed the lugnut threads were treated. It was a very dry and crumbly white substance, caked on like it was powder... and it's about 15,000mi old. It seems to me the dealership used anti-seize or low-strength threadlocker. I've always heard you shouldn't use anti-seize on lugnuts, and I think applying LocTite is unnecessary.... which one would they use?

·
Grinding Gears...gone fishing!
22,610 Posts
its normal.
i put a drop of oil on my threads but i change my rims 2x a year so i really dont have to worry about them freezing up.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I rotated my tires yesterday and I noticed the lugnut threads were treated. It was a very dry and crumbly white substance, caked on like it was powder... and it's about 15,000mi old. It seems to me the dealership used anti-seize or low-strength threadlocker. I've always heard you shouldn't use anti-seize on lugnuts, and I think applying LocTite is unnecessary.... which one would they use?
The corrosion product of zinc is white, that is probably what the substance was on the bolts assuming the bolts are zinc plated. Zinc is sacrificial to steel, that is why fasteners and other steel parts are plated with zinc (or a zinc alloy) this will protect the underlying steel even if the zinc plate is scratched.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
its normal.
i put a drop of oil on my threads but i change my rims 2x a year so i really dont have to worry about them freezing up.
i thought this too, but after going to put my winter wheels on this weekend and having at least half the lugs seized up, i have anti-seize on all my lugs. i rounded one over and it took QUITE an affair to remove it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts