Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still chippin' away at getting this '97 worthy of being driven. Got the valve cover gasket replaced, throttle body removed and cleaned, engine bay cleaned up and I threw a cone style air filter on instead of the oe air box. Upon doing this with the air intake box removal, I learned that the hose that was removed from the front on the box pulls a lot of vacuum when I restarted the engine. I'm not exactly sure what/where this hose goes to? When I realized that it was pulling so much vacuum, I used an extra breather (for small block Chevy valve covers) and clamped that on the end of the hose so no debris would get in there. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this hose is for? Red arrow in first pic (before engine bay clean up) and 2nd pic shows the hose with the breather on it. Engine seems to run fine the way I've got it, but would like the piece of mind before driving it like that. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
335 Posts
It looks like you have a V6 so i am no very sure but on a 1.8T by that area we have the secondary air injection pump hose which is attached to the air box.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much for the reply. I had sort of figured it had something to do with the secondary air injection but wasn't positive. I'll probably get a smaller cone style filter to replace the breather that I used to keep debris out of the hose but I think it'll be ok the way I've got it. Again, thanks for posting Passatfan, much appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts