Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
I wanted to wait a couple weeks to make sure that the problem was fixed before posting an update. It's now been over a month since I had the amp disconnected and the the drain it was causing is no more.
FTFY.

Good to hear it's solved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Greetings,

I own a 2001 VW Passat V6 with approximately 180k miles on it. I've been having an electrical issue for about 4 months that has cost me a small fortune and I still haven't been able to resolve the issue. In August, I had a new radio installed in the vehicle by Best Buy, which is when all the problems started. When the car sits for 4-7 days, the battery completely dies.

At first, I took the vehicle back to Best buy, and they tested the radio for a draw and the test came back negative. They could not find any draw when the car is turned off. They tested it in front of me by sliding the car stereo out and hooking a multimeter up to the radio wiring.

I took the vehicle to a mechanic (mentioning that it all started with the car radio) and they said that it had to be a bad Battery. I replaced the battery and still the problem persisted...

When I brought it back to the shop, they test it and could not find any draw on the battery at all when the car was off. They said that the alternator is the culprit. So they replaced the alternator, and I have been driving the car around without any problems for almsot 10 days before the problem came back. My car is dead again..

There seems to be a mystery draw on the battery and nobody can seem to figure out where it is coming from... I've spent almost 2k between dianosing the issue, repairs, tows, etc. and it's driving me nuts. What could be causing my car to continously drain the battery? I'm baffled by the problem and that nobody seems to know what is causing the issue.
well there is a hot wire on the amp in your trunk that is always on cut the wire cause you replaced the radio but didnt disconnect that amp.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts