Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She got her first speeding ticket this morning. :(

50 in a 30 on her way to work. She's 24 and this is her first ticket. I guess not bad for being on the road for 8 years... but still a burn. :cry:

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
So you got a speeding ticket... Good read. I am afraid 20 over on a surface street will be more than two points, at least here in Michigan it is. 20 over on a limited access roadway is 3 points and probably upwards of $100-125 in fines & fees. (5 over is $85 when three years ago 20 over was the same).

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
was it in troy/schnectady? There are some HORRENDOUS speed traps there. On one ocassion, got a 50 in a 30 at 4am - no cars, just me, my volvo and a the cop. Another time 35 in a 30. :mad: Both times I paid 55 dollars, then again, I have mass plates.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We still have Penn. plates on. It was on Lydius Street between Schenectady and Guilderland. I actually used to get caught speeding all the time in the area. We haven't yet adjusted to the speed enforcement practices in the area which are quite different than in Philly (where you just go as fast as traffic will allow you too even if it's 95mph).
It should get reduced to a non-moving violation (stopping on the median or failure to yield), 1 or no points and the fine will be around $135. That's if we can't get a cop friend to convince his buddy not to show up for the hearing.
It's fund raising around here. Most offenses will get reduced to a minor violation but they still fine up the wazoo. The locality doesn't care WHAT you get charged with as long as they get their money... Oh well. It happens.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Spirare said:
She got her first speeding ticket this morning. :(

50 in a 30 on her way to work. She's 24 and this is her first ticket. I guess not bad for being on the road for 8 years... but still a burn. :cry:
About 6 months ago, I got a call from my wife, she got her very first speeding ticket - she's 38 - she's been driving 22 years. ;) Anyway, she got pulled over and the state trooper said "do you know why I pulled you over?" She said "you bet I do officer, I was speeding." He said "about how fast do you think you were going?" She said "probably about 80" - he said "well, I clocked you at 74 but you do know it's a 55 zone don't you?" She said "yes, I'm aware of that.' He said "did you notice that white van in front you?" She said "yes", he said "you know you were following it very closely?" She said, "yes I know, I wanted him to be aware I was behind him." He said "why is that?" She said "Well you see officer I'm late for work and I wanted to drive faster and he was in my way."

He said "I don't know what else I could possibly say - your honesty is very refreshing but I'm still going to have to give you a ticket." She said (and she honestly feels this way) - "I'm fine with that, I completely understand, I broke the law and I would be disappointed if you didn't give me a ticket and I appreciate that you're doing your job and I know I need to just leave earlier for work."

I was somewhat taken back that she got the ticket in the first place - she's always driven like a little old lady - to be honest, I was a lot more suprised that she actually got a ticket for speeding than her reaction. I, of course, call her leadfoot and all that now but I really can't give her too much grief - I've gotten my fair share of speeding tickets over the years - probably about 5 or 6 now. I just thought her reaction was pretty funny, you've got to know my wife, she's probably the most honest and direct person you'll ever find - if you ever met her family it would make more sense - they're all the same way. ;)

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a cool lady Sullie... My wife is the same way. No crying. No pleading. Just 'Ok can you speed this up so I don't have to drive even faster to get to work?'

The screwed up thing is that this whole thing is directly attributable to daylight savings time. We were both about 10 minutes late this morning because we weren't ready to get up an hour early. It would never happen on a normal day but she was runninglate...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Spirare said:
Sounds like a cool lady Sullie... My wife is the same way. No crying. No pleading. Just 'Ok can you speed this up so I don't have to drive even faster to get to work?'

The screwed up thing is that this whole thing is directly attributable to daylight savings time. We were both about 10 minutes late this morning because we weren't ready to get up an hour early. It would never happen on a normal day but she was runninglate...
Yeah, my mom would argue, my sisters would beg and plead or cry - not my wife - she's pretty calm under pressure. I usually get nervous if I get caught off guard with it, otherwise, if I'm expecting it - it doesn't bother me as much.

I got pulled over by some kid one day driving 70 in a 65 in my work beater car (my '91 Camry w/220k+ miles on it.) I passed this Indiana State Trooper - I swear he was doing 55 mph in a 65 mph zone, everyone else is staying behind the guy, I said to myself "the hell with it, I need to get work, write me a ticket for going a couple of miles over, I don't care."

So he pulls me over and he says (I swear he said this) - "Do you know why I pulled you over?" I said "for going the speed limit?" He said "no sir, I pulled you over because you FLEW past me." I said "officer, I know you have a difficult job and I respect that and that people give you a hard time and what not - but with all due respect - I did not FLY past you in this bucket of rust. It's all I can do to get this thing going 70 mph with the wind at my back going down hill - now honestly officer - I absolutely cannot get this car past 70 mph but I won't argue with however fast you say I was going" - he came back with a warning. ;)

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Well if it makes you feel better. Last Sunday I was driving as usual on I-25 when red & blue lights came on behind me. 80 in 55 and on top of that it was construction zone (T-Rex for you CO folks :)). Well 6 points and $300.- fine. I think I'll go to court and see what I can do.

I look at tickets as a necessary tax evil for driving fast. :lol:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
2 pts...? Explain this whole point thing and how it affects insurance and whatnot... I don't think we have that in Texas, but I may be wrong...

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Moving violations are assigned a number of "points". When you accumulate enough points, you lose your licence - typically somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-12 pts per year and you're done.

I think Texas has this system too, but I don't know for sure. As long as you get less than 1 ticket per year, you can take a def. driving class, pay extra $$, and get it dismissed w/o reporting to insurance.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
we start off with 4 point and they build up at 2 per year until you have ten, offences take away certain number of points depending on the situation.ahhh speeding tickets, i've gotten a few with my GTI :roll:

-200km/h in a 100 zone---------i just flew by him and saw lights, i got off the highway and hit the offramp to swich highways, i never saw him again-summer 2002 around 2 in the morning

-177km/h in a 80 zone---------ouch 267$ fine, no points loss as it was another province at around 3 in the morning coming from a shopping spree for tools with my ex- summer 2002

-140km/h in a 100 zone-----------no fine, written warning and long speech-summer 2002 around 12:30 in a stretch of the TCH(transcanada highway)

-80km/h in a 50 zone-----------no fine, written warning and check over of the vehicle(he asked me if he could check inside the hatch and the back seat)-summer 2002 - it was 9:30at night in an industrial park

-84km/h in a 50 zone---------- 84$ fine and 3 points, i was late for school it was 8:30 in the morning a monday-autumm 2001- with my dads truck

-60km/h in a 50 zone---------- first week i had my licence, the cop pulled me over and said i was going a bit fast for the conditions(rain) and he gave me a verbal warning-summer 2000 around 8pm on the main drag in town. :p

as you can see i have been stopped a few times, but they are mostly in remote areas that were not busy and i was never with more than 1 person.i have not been stopped with the :b5: and i am a reformed driver now :thumbup: ooohh and i don't :beer: and drive. EVER

1 - 16 of 16 Posts