Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my VI in LabView finally figured out. I was using the DAQAssistants and did not understand that you ran all the channels through one assistant. I was thinking that you set up a DAQA for each physical channel. But you don't and I finally got four input channels running.

I never did get the AOs set up, I ended up grabbing a 9V wall wart to power the load cell (works great!) and normalized for voltage fluctuations. I borrowed a sweep function generator from another group (have to go buy one now) and that is running the LVDT. I don't think the card I got has enough enough power output to drive the sensors properly. Oh well. I will look into a power supply card soon.

I am just tickled that it is finally working. I have a peak indicator with a bunch of comparison code running on it and a shift register! I feel like a big weight is off my back. :) My boss is very happy, marketing is thrilled, and tech service is jumping up and down to use it. That is a good thing now that I am ready to roll it out.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
those are for scientists.... i dont know what ya talking about either...Congrats and Enjoy

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
I started having a siezure halfway through the first sentance and had to stop reading, but I'll assume it's good news. Congrats.

I'm gonna go find a quiet corner and twitch now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
LabVIEW is a data acquisition and processing program that lets you program visually, instead of in code. Here's a picture of a pretty simple VI: http://www.instrument.com/pci/labview.gif

Basically, you drag functions into the workspace, and connect them using virtual wires. It's a much more intuitive way of programming, and also a lot easier to learn than a traditional programming language.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Cool, but it's not my cookie

I like old-school! Type everything manually, then you'll really know what you're doing. Using that to program seems a little weird, but if it's like what MS Frontpage is for HTML, maybe that'd be cool! Only problem is that HTML is all for displaying things, whatever language LabView is probably isn't used for visual things.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well, the thing is that LabVIEW has a lot of things built-in. For instance, if you're collecting spectrum data, you can have it do a Fourier Transform on the data and then display that on a graph. To program all of that would probably take much, much longer than popping a few functions into a VI and connecting the wires. It's really an incredibly powerful program, and is used all throughout science/engineering disciplines.

It's also useful because you can use it to control instruments. Besides being able to collect data, it can also output electrical signals through the board you connect to a port on your computer. For instance, in a lab I did an experiment in this past semester as part of our senior lab, someone had written a VI that controlled a motor for positioning a sample inside a vacuum chamber of an ion accelerator. The other neat thing is that you can create a front panel with the program, with buttons, graphs, etc. So for instance, in the case above, you would put in the amount of rotation you wanted, and then press a button on the panel to make it move. That's obviously a simple application, but the amount of advanced things you can do with a minimal amount of effort is truly mind-boggling.

Here's an example of a much more advanced program: http://www.processauto.com/Images/PARISSFrontPanel.gif

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
We have some mad scientists at work that use LabView...it's great during the prototyping phase from what I understand.

I had to write an application (C++) to replace a LabView app that was such a mess and no one wanted to maintain it. Plus I guess it required having a bunch of wires hanging outside the back of our machine where as my application could connect via ethernet etc etc.

In either case, Congrats (oh, and I have new found respect for you; you're more of a geek than I originally thought) :lol:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ohhh, I know what your talking about! Dont forget, the flux capacitor only starts to work once you pass 88mph.... :lol:

Kathy, dont hit me from across the states please.... :poke:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
atomicalex said:
I got my VI in LabView finally figured out. I was using the DAQAssistants and did not understand that you ran all the channels through one assistant. I was thinking that you set up a DAQA for each physical channel. But you don't and I finally got four input channels running.
?SYNTAX ERROR

...wouldn't you rather play a nice game of chess?

boot> halt
boot> _

·
Registered
428 Posts
Congratulations atomicalex! Looks like LabVIEW has come a long way since the version I last used (3.0)- what with all the DAQ assistants, FPGA and handheld PDA modules, .NET support, a partridge and a pear tree.:weirdo:

linux-works said:
No, not that vi! :wink:

·
Rogue Assassin
2,977 Posts
My VI wasn't working either, so I went to my doctor, But he couldn't help. So I went to my chiropractor, but he couldn't help. So I went to my rabbi, but she couldn't help. Turns out my VI doesn't work 'cause I'm just too old. So I poured myself a glass of wine, and suddenly it didn't matter anymore.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts